Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Honey & Isabel
306 Posts
Honey was 6 months when she was spayed. I brought her home the same day - she had a dressing on her wound. Chicken and rice was on the menu - just small meals a few times a day for a few days until back to normal food. No exercise or play for first couple of days then small walks on the lead - just so that she didn't split stiches. Defo no swimming either. She was back to herself after a few days and I just gradually built up the exercise. Your pup will be fine and I do think the measures your vet said are a bit extreme especially the feeding regime.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im so pleased that you have fed that baby. Poor wee soul, starved and locked up when it needs a cuddle and grub. Listen to your pup she will only do what she feels she can do.

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
My goodness nutrition is such an important aspect of healing for humans and canines. 5 days without food must be a mistake? I can understand slowing introducing food after anesthesia because it takes a while for the gut to wake up afterward causing lots of nausea and vomiting, but eating a modified diet (clears like chicken broth) beginning the next day and advancing it as tolerated is what I would do. Heck, that's exactly what they do with people who've had their chest cracked open for heart surgery!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts