Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not wait to name blast the breeder, but I assure you they are a very reputable breeder with a 2 year wait list. I spoke with the breeder and I feel their breeding program fits what I want in a dog. I am very new to this whole "reputable breeder" thing. I have not had many breeders reply, which is OK, I understand with all things considering. But the prices seem to be the highest i've seen so far (seen another for like $3,250). And I get wanting to have serious inquiries only on their waitlist. But it seems odd to have a $100 deposit just to be put on a waitlist? And it'd be BEFORE I fill out a puppy questioner (I guess you can say i'm buying an application for $100) I guess I just want to know if this is normal..? Do breeders tend to do this?

·
Kate
21,221 Posts
Maybe wouldn't put a deposit down to wait 2 years to get a puppy.....

There's surely other breeders with pups available.

Price sadly isn't too shocking.

If you give a location/state - people could probably give you an idea what prices they are seeing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe wouldn't put a deposit down to wait 2 years to get a puppy.....

There's surely other breeders with pups available.

Price sadly isn't too shocking.

If you give a location/state - people could probably give you an idea what prices they are seeing.
It's actually not the waiting I have a problem with. I am not wanting one for 2 years (the pandemic kind of screwed things up, and next year isn't a good time anymore). I am in Ohio. I have contacted my club of reputable breeders, and this breeder was on the list I was given.

·
Kate
21,221 Posts
Price goes up every year. After a year like everyone has had this year, prices should go DOWN, but um... that's not what normally happens.

I think something like $2800-3500 is the range you are looking at for this year - probably. Might be more next year. More the following year....

Last year, prices were $2500.
Year before that, $2000.
Etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I get it, prices to have a dog is high. Considering all the vet bills, health tests, etc. Just I have never heard about putting a deposit down on a dog BEFORE even filling out a application. Let alone before puppies are even born :unsure:

My first golden has temperament issues and died very suddenly of cancer. So getting the proper breeder if something I want. And will pay for a puppy regardless of the price. Just seemed very high. And I know the prices went up, heard they were charging 3,000. I just dont want to be on a waitlist and all of a sudden im being charge like $4500 lol

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
No one I know charges an application fee. That is dumb.
And I am gambling that you are looking at an English Cream type dog, based on the pricing which is totally un-deserved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No one I know charges an application fee. That is dumb.
And I am gambling that you are looking at an English Cream type dog, based on the pricing which is totally un-deserved.
It is not, lol. It's a breeder that was recommended by the cuyahoga club. 100% a reputable breeder who does all the testing on their dogs. But I guess that is saying a lot considering most people think i'm lying. Perhaps I will keep looking elsewhere.

Maybe I will name drop? It's Hillock Goldens. Maybe the wins for her dog, Daniel, has caused her to change her application process? Does that help with maybe understanding?

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
My guess would be she has an extremely high interest after Daniel’s win at Westminster. Perhaps she requests deposits beforehand to weed out serious applicants versus people just inquiring because of Daniel and the thought of getting a Daniel puppy or a relative of Daniel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess would be she has an extremely high interest after Daniel’s win at Westminster. Perhaps she requests deposits beforehand to weed out serious applicants versus people just inquiring because of Daniel and the thought of getting a Daniel puppy or a relative of Daniel.
That's kind of what I figured. But I didn't want to seem super concerned over the price because i didn't want to look bad, either. I had her on my list after I lost my golden back in 2017. Kind of wish I had spoken to her beforehand.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Price isn’t too far off from what Pittsburgh area is averaging ($2500 Five months ago is what I know of). It makes sense the list is long. As to fee to even be on, no clue. I have no experience with that. There are other breeders in Pittsburgh area with excellent quality dogs. Have you reached out to the GPGRC?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have contacted other breeders :) Hillock was just higher on my list when I first started looking (as was Harborview but I have not gotten any replies). And was just a bit taken back. Many people have told me to reach out to multiple breeders and perhaps be on different waiting lists (with of course letting those breeders know). I guess if I end up going with Hillock i'm kind of bound to wait on just one breeder and finding that perfect dog from just one breeder, ya know? I am in contact with Shilo Golden Retrievers and have heard wonderful things about her dogs (she was also high on the list as she is a raw feeder)

·
Registered
770 Posts
There’s Brianne’s, Ruffwater & Infinite too. As far as puppy availability on any of them, no idea. You may find lines you’re looking for in their dogs.

Mine have Harborview in their line on the dam’s side and overall, I couldn’t be happier with my two. Their Grandma is from Harborview and very active at almost 12!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
It is not, lol. It's a breeder that was recommended by the cuyahoga club. 100% a reputable breeder who does all the testing on their dogs. But I guess that is saying a lot considering most people think i'm lying. Perhaps I will keep looking elsewhere.

Maybe I will name drop? It's Hillock Goldens. Maybe the wins for her dog, Daniel, has caused her to change her application process? Does that help with maybe understanding?
I didn't think you were lying. FWIW. But it IS odd that she's charging an application fee... and probably the Daniel interest is playing into it, as well as the enormous number of inquiries everyone is getting right now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I haven't seen prices even close to that around here, but I'm in the middle of no where. Lol
I personally wouldn't put a deposit down on a dog that hasn't been born yet. Things can change for everyone. What if something tragic happens to her dogs, or worse yet, her? And there isn't any puppies?
I wouldn't mind a bit of a waiting list but life can really change inside of two years. Two years ago I severely broke my ankle and leg with massive tissue damage. I still have a hard time walking any major distances and getting up and down off the floor. I am now able to walk enough to exercise a dog and can play ball etc.
Life can change a lot in two years. I mean anyone could get hurt tomorrow, but yanno?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,908 Posts
Supply and demand when it comes to price. To me it's a moral thing. Lots of people want puppies now and there aren't a lot to be had so breeders know this and Jack the price up a bit.

Honestly there isn't any reason pups should be any more than 2500 a pup... Maybe 3k tops. I've seen different vets in my area alone charge $35 to $100 just for vet visit fees and $200-$500 for the same x-rays and all were AAHA accredited vets. So where you take them can make a difference in cost. But the overall cost of the pups at 2500 should more than cover all the costs in the adults to get totals and vet care.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think im going to ask her about the initial $100 fee (maybe i could of miss understood her..) and if she expects her prices to go up even more within 2 years. Shilo charges $1800 for puppies, with all the same health tests 🤷‍♀️ And I kind of prefer breeders to pick out puppies, I could be waiting a long time to get "pick of the litter" so I can ask questions about the right match/if I choose not to go with a certain litter.

I do like her breeding program though. Her dogs seem to be the perfect temperament/energy level. And she seems very proud of what she has done within her lines.

I really only wanted to reach out to breeders/get info on their dogs but the ones i've spoken to have ALL asked me to put in a puppy questioner to be on a waitlist. Maybe i'm just picking breeders with really long wait times? Lol :p

·
Kate
21,221 Posts
Hillock - I'm surprised they have a 2 year waiting list. Unless due to the virus they aren't having any litters this year...? They were one of those that I always thought they had a ton of dogs... I would say they have more than 1 litter per year.....

I'm actually more surprised at the price that Jennifer is charging. Just because locally prices jumped to $2500-3000 in the last year. I'm not 100% sure if she'll have pups immediately either (I know you are committed to waiting so that's probably OK).

I think that some people are requiring a $100 deposit because there have been a lot of "shoppers" who sign up on waitlists and then decide to back out when the pups are 6-7 weeks old.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think im going to ask her about the initial $100 fee (maybe i could of miss understood her..) and if she expects her prices to go up even more within 2 years. Shilo charges $1800 for puppies, with all the same health tests 🤷‍♀️ And I kind of prefer breeders to pick out puppies, I could be waiting a long time to get "pick of the litter" so I can ask questions about the right match/if I choose not to go with a certain litter.

I do like her breeding program though. Her dogs seem to be the perfect temperament/energy level. And she seems very proud of what she has done within her lines.

I really only wanted to reach out to breeders/get info on their dogs but the ones i've spoken to have ALL asked me to put in a puppy questioner to be on a waitlist. Maybe i'm just picking breeders with really long wait times? Lol :p
not sure as to Jennifer or her program; however, I know of her because she’s commented on posts of people i know who know her.

As far as those I mentioned, they 100% pick your puppy too. No idea about any of their waiting lists going forward. I found out the night before I got my first and knew a few days before on the second because my breeder is now someone I consider a friend. But didn’t choose either. But she picked the right dogs! And the sisters are a perfect match.

IMO, if you are basing a dog on price then it’s kind of apples to apples once you hit 2500. If you prefer one breeder/their philosophy/their program over another then to me tit certainly weighs a lot more heavily than anything. And if you want a dog and are certain that person fits your needs/wants/clearances up that fee of $100 or not won’t really matter.

What I can say is I did talk to Tammy when I was looking 2 years ago and she never mentioned an application fee. As to if that’s changed maybe? I can’t say. But I can say it’s out of the norm from any of the recommended breeders I’ve ever contacted/known of.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts