Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my 5 1/2 month old nishka wants to eat everything in her sight , & i literally mean eat it . when i leave her off leash to play she runs off & starts eating every thing from hair balls, mud, leaves, rotten food ,stonea plastic , you name it & she eats it. even on walks if she finds anything interesting she try's to eat it.

& because of me trying to remove everything out of her mouth all the time, shes now starting to show sings of resource guarding. at times i feel as if her nose was stuck to the ground she can chew n swallow anything imaginable

this happens alot less when shes home , shes still teething i guess , till wot age do they teeth ? will this just go away ? & ya ver i live there's no puppy class or anything so it's me who has to train her & everything
:confused::(:D PLZ HELP !! i don't wanna use a muzzle on my baby :(:( buts that's the only option left i can think off

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Fill your pockets full of high quality treats (cheese, liver, chicken) and whenever you need to remove things from her mouth, offer the treat instead. Most pups will drop whatever is in their mouths for this, but it must be a very high quality treat (something they don't get often but are NUTS for). I keep cookies at the door, small treats in a can by the back door and a bowl of cheeze already cut into squares in little packages I keep in the fridge for my pocket. When we go anywhere I have a pocketfull of cheese, cookies...anything that will be a trade "up" for our walks. But dogs are smart. If you offer them something of equal or lesser value this won't work at all. Just always remember you want to trade whatever is in their mouth for something Way Way Better and make a big deal of the trade!

Yes I am with you on this, my two are doggie vacuum cleaners, if they see it then they grab it. If they can grab it and swallow it they think they have done the Best thing. You will see thread after thread of all our pups have swallowed or tried to swallow, but you want to nip this right now. Make giving you things for something better the best thing. Never take something from their mouth if they show agression, instead stop and offer something better!

Hope this helps, but hang on there. Know you have many here with the same age pups going through the same thing.

Reactions: mayapaya

·
Registered
586 Posts
Deber is right! High quality treats--my Maya knows the difference, and won't drop a kleenex for a dog cookie, but if I have a piece of cheese, she'll spit the kleenex across the room to get the cheese!!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
While our Casper picks up and chews everything (I mean everything), I'm not convinced he swallows all of it, fortunately. Last week what I thougth was a candy wrapper was a crunched up piece of aluminum can. All shape points and edges, but he was chewing on it just the same. I'll second training Drop It. If my treat is good enough, Casper will positively spit out whatever he's got. A good trick I learned here is to also have a second treat. Throw it a couple of feet away so you can grab the garbage and toss it away while the dog is distracted. Otherwise, the dog will just pick it up again. (Great game for them.) We also spend a lot of time scanning the ground around him while we're on walks. Also, he's a lot better if he's just been fed.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I just found Bayne's high quality treat and it's frozen carrots from those mixed veggie bags, mostly the California mix where the carrots are sliced and not diced and are round. He just loves them frozen or thawed.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Here, too...

Maisie will chomp on anything, too, although now that she's almost 7 months she's slowing down some. Now, it's mostly sticks, leaves and any trash around that smells too, too inviting. I have to say that I let her chew on sticks. (I joke with my husband that I'm going to rent her out to a lumberyard, turning trees into mulch.)

I've been working really hard on "Leave it" for months. As suggested in earlier posts, I started by trading her high value treats for the yucky stuff. Now she usually responds to the command, but I still keep treats handy when we're out walking.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Kye thinks sticks are High Quality treats too and great for when walking. If I see she had sucked something in, pick up any stick I can quickly find, wave it around like a crazy lady and Kye thinks whatever is in her mouth is not near as good as that wonderful stick! Figure if we ever have to x-ray her stomach we will find the makings of a giant oak there.

Puppyhood - ain't it GREAT??!!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
If your dog likes balls, you might take a ball with you on walks. Tess was a vacuum cleaner like your dog, but life became a lot better when she started to enjoy fetch. She carries her ball with her every time we go outside, and it makes walking a lot more fun for the both of us, because she isn't interested in picking up things anymore, plus the fact that we can throw the ball for her, which she loves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts