Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like 2011 will not give us a break. Think Coop has demodex! When we picked him up at 8 wks he had a small spot on his rear foot that looked like a scrape. Vet checked it and agreed. Nothing happened over the months until recently when my DH took Kye and older yorkies to the farm, but left Coop (still had traning class) with me in town. He was lost without Kye and took a couple of days to calm. Monday, while grooming, I noticed the "spot" was growing and up the inside of his leg. No itching, just loss of hair (no red spots) & think I see a bit on his head! I will call the Vet and get him in Saturday, but does anyone know of something I can be doing here at home until then? Again no itching, just looks like it is growing daily.

Is this contagious? Should I scrub or throw away the dog beds, toys? I read through the "search" on this and am going to read the ingred. on his food TOTW lamb and see if chicken is in there to rule out an allergy. But really want to get a handle on this BEFORE he is left bald! So sad cause he has a beautiful coat! Drat...what else can happen before the clock strikes 12 on the New Year???

Any suggestions out there for us??

I will get a picture of his leg this evening when I get home from work (daylight) so you can see. It is spreading pretty quickly! My poor boy.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Demodex is generally felt to be not contagious ( I have never known of a case where a dog "caught" demodectic mange), and typically is not itchy. It is usually not a big issue, but generalised demodex can be very serious.

Demodectic Mange

Personally, I would take him to the vet before Saturday if possible, to get him started on treatment, which is typically Ivermectin.

I hope you can get it under control soon, and that his immune system gets to the point it can handle the mite.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Everything Linda said.
My Toby has been fighting Demodex for 3 years now, and we never could get it cured. But that's because he's an older dog with a suppressed immune system, and no spleen.
Typically it's mild and harmless in young dogs. It is NOT contagious, because the mites live on all dogs all the time and you can't give them something they already have! It's just that if the immune system can't keep them in check, you will end up with demodex mange. That's why you see it in puppies, their immune system sometimes isn't mature enough to handle it. When you see it in adult dogs, it indicates an underlying immune problem, and is considered much more serious.
But I, too, would get him to the vet sooner if possible to prevent secondary skin infections, which are rather common with demodex. Normally the treatment for demodex is liquid ivermectin, which you have to put in his mouth daily with a needle-less syringe. It's very bitter and the dogs don't really care for it.
Let us know what the vet says!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Linda & Barb for the advise. I have been reading about this on the internet too. Will call the Vet and see what they think. Wanted to get him into our "Country Vet" this weekend because of cost as our Country Vet is much less than our Big City Vet! ($30 vs $65). Right now we only have 2 spots the size of a nickel on the toe of 2 feet (front & rear) and a strip(broken into 2 places, 1 small - 1 in & 2nd about 3 1/2 in long on the inside of his leg, but the strip looks like it is growing. Good thing it is not itching, in fact other than growing larger it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Coop eats well, is fat and sassy (not fat in pounds), but seems to be in excellent health.

I am kicking myself for not having the Vet look again at the first spot on his foot when he had his shots 2 wks ago! If so, perhaps I could have stopped this before now. I feel like a really bad Momma. My mind has been to our old Millie girl and just not been fixed on my other kids. Really feel like a jerk... Know this is treatable, but mad I didn't nip this in the bud earlier.

Is there any lab work I should ask for at this visit. Should I ask for a full panel to be run? Would a panel show anything worth noting at his young age? Feel a bit better after learning more and reading your responses.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Generally demodex on the feet is thought to be harder to clear up, so be sure your vet treats it aggressively and for a long time (think 6 weeks) just to be sure.
The good news is, it's not harmful to him at all. Blood work shouldn't show anything out of the ordinary, if he scrapes positive for demodex I probably wouldn't bother with blood work. They only do it on older dogs to see if there's an underlying cause, but not on puppies.

Thank you Linda & Barb for the advise. I have been reading about this on the internet too. Will call the Vet and see what they think. Wanted to get him into our "Country Vet" this weekend because of cost as our Country Vet is much less than our Big City Vet! ($30 vs $65). Right now we only have 2 spots the size of a nickel on the toe of 2 feet (front & rear) and a strip(broken into 2 places, 1 small - 1 in & 2nd about 3 1/2 in long on the inside of his leg, but the strip looks like it is growing. Good thing it is not itching, in fact other than growing larger it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Coop eats well, is fat and sassy (not fat in pounds), but seems to be in excellent health.

I am kicking myself for not having the Vet look again at the first spot on his foot when he had his shots 2 wks ago! If so, perhaps I could have stopped this before now. I feel like a really bad Momma. My mind has been to our old Millie girl and just not been fixed on my other kids. Really feel like a jerk... Know this is treatable, but mad I didn't nip this in the bud earlier.

Is there any lab work I should ask for at this visit. Should I ask for a full panel to be run? Would a panel show anything worth noting at his young age? Feel a bit better after learning more and reading your responses.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
oh and BTW, if you had had the vet look at the spot when he was there for his shots they probably would have told you to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens, as localized demodex frequently clears up on its own in puppies. So it doesn't matter that they didn't look at it then.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
What Barb said :) Also, I wonder if the stress of the shots on his immune system might have accelerated things? Just a thought, since it is an autoimmune issue.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hummm, you have a good point. This has all started since then, wonder if it was the loss of Kye for the week, shots & the stress caused this to become active? Something to sure think on.....Thank you for telling me about the feet, will make sure I mention this to our Vet!

Good to know I don't have to throw out all the beds and toys too! I checked Kye over from nose to tip of her tail and nothing, so hopefully this is a Coop thing only and we can get this straightened out without harm.

Thank you so much for your help.
Deb

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
What Barb said :) Also, I wonder if the stress of the shots on his immune system might have accelerated things? Just a thought, since it is an autoimmune issue.[/QUOTEI
I was thinking the same thing. Fighting a nasty spot on Jordan that she got after her spay.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Demodex is more common in short haired dogs. It is generally not itchy and not at all contagious. It is a skin mite found on normal dog skin and is also found as a normal skin mite on our skin. We tend to find it in very old and very young dogs. The mite colonizes when things are optimum... So controlling localized infection often makes it go away... One or two spots often respond with antibiotics. Then there are mitaban dips, ivermectin, etc... For generalized demodex.

Reactions: Lorie1958

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My collie puppy had demodex on his head, just a few spots. It started at about 7-8 months, basically his teenage days. I opted not to treat. Ivermectin can be toxic to collies, so the vets wanted to shave the dog and dip him repeatedly. I decided to wait it out and hope for the best. Fortuantely, it didn't spread much and resolved a couple of months later. As far as I could tell, it didn't itch or bother him. I remember when the hair grew back in it was white instead of black. (This was all 14 years ago.) I hope things go just as well for you. It was such a worry when it first started.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you Sally's Mom and all you others for your help.

Decided not to wait the few extra days so seeing our town Vet this afternoon. Just know it usually gets worse before it gets better & want to lessen the damage.

Read a lot on the internet and apparently stress really is a suspect in sitting off this per people's stories. Says it usually starts around 4-6 mo and sometimes the body can fight it off, others elect to treat so not so much coat damage and secondary infections. We will treat!

Will let you know this evening & want to have the treatment here on the forum for future reference for all.

Claire's Mom, one poster said after her golden got a nasty cut on his leg, stitches, it broke out on him. He was 6 mo. so I guess it might be true that anything upsetting to the dog might be enough to get this started. Uck.

Poor Coop, just want my baby to be well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Poor boy! I'm sorry you're dealing with this now.

My Ollie has demodectic mange; it first flared when he was about 12 weeks old. Did a 4 week course of ivermectin and got it under control, but I noticed about two weeks ago (he's 9 months now) that he had several small spots of hair loss again. Decided to take a wait and see approach this time, but unfortunately it seems to be getting worse, so we'll be off to the vet tomorrow.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Feel so sorry for them all, and not a good way to finish of 2011.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want this documented for anyone who hits this!

Just back from the Vets. Took a skin scraping from each of the spots - Juvenile Demodex! Because Coop is on Frontline & Heartguard given on the 14th she elected to go with the Ivermectin @ 0.5 ml each day after meals for 30 days, then recheck. No frontline nor Heartguard again until this is done. Says because we have caught this so early feels the dip is not needed yet. Hope so!

Has warned us this could take a bit to completely get over. He must have 2 scrapings with negative results to be considered done.

On the Good side, Coop did so well at the Vets, he sat like he was supposeto each time we stopped, and even stayed on my left side! He greeted two children and didn't try to maul them and was so good and friendly to the others there. We have worked so hard on socialization since getting him since he is a quiet shy boy and was very, very proud that he was not scared and seemed to really enjoy all the attention, course the bisquits the lab tech's kept giving helped I am sure. Think my little boy has come a long way. Made me proud even though everyone thought he was a pyrenese (will we ever get past this??)!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
usually you will see effects of the ivermectin within a few days. I hope it clears it up for him once and for all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone has picture of this demodex mange? I suspect my poor boy Rambo has it. I took him to the vet today and the vet just told me it's skin infection but never really tell me the exact name of the infection. They have to shave two spots on his back to apply the iodine. The vet also prescribed me with Curam 625mg Sandoz for my poor Rambo - half in the morning and half in the evening. The two spots is itching him alot and he is scratcing and biting it which pains me further seeing him suffering.

BTW his infection started out as red bumps on his body.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dermodectic mange

My 7 month old male golden developed a small red spot just above each eye. He had just been neutered and we took him in to have stitches out and asked about the spots. Vet did a scraping and said it was dermodectic mange. I've owned 6 retrievers and had never had this issue with any of my dogs? Hearing the word "mange" kind of creeped me out. He said it may have been brought on by the stress of the surgery and having to wear the "cone of shame". He did not want to prescribe anything orally. We are treating the spots with a benzoyl peroxide shampoo and goodwinol. It's just so hard to treat with it being so close to his eyes. Have not noticed any other spots? How long does this usually take to clear up?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lorie, I am the one who started this thread and proud to report that Coop's never came back, but stress is a leading cause. I would watch the spots very carefully and if they enlarge or you see more spots coming, get back to the Vet's and get it under control before it becomes a problem. With Coops, his got worse (spots got bigger) before they slowly cleared. He was treated for 3 months total and coat took about 3 months to grow back some. Again, thankfully no repeate of this since.

Just watch it carefully and expect it to worsen a bit before it starts to heal, but have it checked monthly, with scrapings, to make sure it is going away.

Reactions: Lorie1958
1 - 20 of 20 Posts