Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first of all, Jake is just over 9 months old. I know that puppy demodex is common and it just needs a little treatment and it goes away and all the fur comes back and everything is fine. My vet said that I would need to consider neutering Jake if it became a generalized issue as it was an auto immune thing that is hereditary.

Jake's conformation is AMAZING. He is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I got him specifically as a show dog. He has generalized Demodex.

My question is, now that I am looking at ivomectin and all that other ickiness, should I email/call the breeder? I have already emailed about the isolated spots, but again, I wasn't worried about it. Now that it has gone generalized, I am looking at quite a large bill that will ever increase AND a neutering that was not in the near future. Because Jake can no longer even be considered for the showring, much less a possible sire, should I demand some of my money back?

Please understand that I love Jake so very very much. I do not want to trade him for another pup, I don't want to give him up for any reason. I'm simply looking at astronomical bills and no show dog. The money I would have returned from the breeder would just go into his vet care.

I'm just pretty angry right now and if this doesn't make sense, just ignore me LOL

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
I think a conversation with his breeder would be appropriate. I would call rather than email, email can be ignored. You might want to ask if other puppies in his litter have shown up with demodex too.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
You should definitely contact the breeder. While it may be an isolated incident, it may not be. And, since it is generalised, the breeder definitely should be aware of this.

As far as what the breeder should do, that depends on what your contract says. If you don't have a written contract, then it depends on what the breeder wants to do. Some may offer you a replacement puppy in the future (from different parents), some might offer you some or all of your money back, and some may not offer anything. I can't imagine that the breeder would require you to give Jake back-after all, what is she going to do with him?

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think contacting the breeder is the first on your to-do list. I hope that the breeder is willing and able to help you financially, not to mention- never have a repeat breeding of Jake's litter.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
This is Jake 2, right? I remember the original Jake had some pretty serious problems and was returned.

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, this is Jake 2.0. He is amazing and wonderful. He just has some icky stuff.... generalized demodex, he's already had a bout of pancreatitis, and not to mention the low platelet issue...

Just got off the phone with the breeder... said he had no understanding of the demodex issue. He also didn't know why the platelets might have also been an issue as well.

Said to keep him posted on it. I will. I will also see what happens as it continues. Maybe it won't spread. Maybe it will all just go away. And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt...

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
If your breeder charged more for Jake because he was a show prospect, I think you should ask the breeder to refund the difference between that price and what they would have charged for a pet quality puppy. That seems only fair since he is no longer a show prospect.
It's a slightly different issue, but my older boy (12 years old) has been fighting demodex for about 2 years now. He does pretty well. We give him liquid ivermectin every other week for it. Your boy is much younger and probably still has his spleen (mine doesn't, which is why the supressed immune system) so he probably will heal up faster and better and you might be able to take him off the ivermectin most of the time.
The thing that's the most important with generalized demodex is to catch it IMMEDIATELY when it starts to flare up and start treatment again.
Feel free to PM if you want to talk about demodex, we've been around and around with it.
P.S. I'm sorry, I don't know the whole story, but if you're using ivermectin to treat the mange it can cause a temporary low platelet count.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know of someone who had purchased a golden pup from a reputable breeder, and the same thing happened, although different reason--things didn't work out because the golden was later diagnosed as dysplastic. The person was hoping to earn a championship, and establish foundation kennel lines with this golden. I was told the breeder refunded the price of the golden in full, because the golden didn't develop as planned. And the owner kept the golden.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
The Breeder definitely needs to know what is going on.

As far as what their responsibility is, you'll have to review the contract. If the contract guarantees a Ring Quality dog, you may have grounds to demand compensation.

If the contract isn't clear on the subject, proceed carefully with the breeder as you'll be seeking their goodwill in the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts