Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya

have any of your dogs had the TPLO cruciate surgery and had to deal with delayed bone healing?

my boy is 6 weeks post op and X-rays have shown his bone has not started to heal yet.

I would be very grateful for anyone to share their experiences with this. He is still limping a lot (obviously as no healing has happened) and we aren’t allowed to start physio until there is evidence of bone healing. Next X-ray in 3 weeks time and praying for some healing by then for my boy.

·
Premium Member
18,560 Posts
I have come to realize in the last couple of years, from friends who have had TPLO surgery on their dogs, that the bone is just a lot slower to heal than we realized in the past, when we thought by 8 weeks out they would be fully healed. Both the dogs I know had xrays to check the healing at 10 weeks post surgery and neither of them had much bone closure at that point. By 16 weeks post surgery there was much more bone callous developed. In both cases it was really 10 to 12 months before they were back to normal.

Based on my friends experience it's important to restrict most activity for at least 16 weeks.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
How old is your dog? My bridge boy, Bear had bilateral TPLO back when he was 12 months old and at his 8 week x-ray he had about 90% of the bone healed. And that was a young dog. I've seen in the past (from other owners in other support groups) that the older the dog is, the slower they heal. I'm not sure if that is the case for your dog. Does your vet have a recommendation to help facilitate healing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is your dog? My bridge boy, Bear had bilateral TPLO back when he was 12 months old and at his 8 week x-ray he had about 90% of the bone healed. And that was a young dog. I've seen in the past (from other owners in other support groups) that the older the dog is, the slower they heal. I'm not sure if that is the case for your dog. Does your vet have a recommendation to help facilitate healing?
Thanks for this my dog is 3. The situation is just to re X-ray him in 3-4 weeks when he will then be about 8/9 weeks post op. I am hopeful that he will be on the way by then and he just needs time but it is strange as he is young and they would’ve expected to see at least some healing by this stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts