Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda developed a bad habit this weekend or we started it..idk.

We usually take her down to our basement after walks and let her run off the rest of her energy, there is a lot more room for us to throw her toys for her now that it is so cold out. We have a pool table down there that she would run under when she got zoomies in the basement but never paid much attention.

This weekend she started knawing at the wood under the pool table, naturally we dont want her doing that (the her sake and the tables). So we sprayed it with bitter apple which usually works. As my husband was under there spraying it she got in her play bow and started barking at him (maybe out of frustration?)

The next day she still went under there and started chewing while we were in the middle of playing. She dropped her toy under the table and got right to it. We got down to her level and told her no. Instatly she came at us barking and nipping at us (moreso than usual when she plays). It seemed almost defensive...she never actually bit us but it was not something I liked. She doesn't do this any other time we tell her no, just under there.

Any idea if this is frustration or her trying to play? Or if there is something we should do differently? We dont want to stop playing down there, it is the biggest place for her to run...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 10 week old puppy and I run into this constantly when he is worked up. It's a play-thing, especially if the puppy is bowing down on the front paws with tail high in the air/wagging. My puppy Wally does this all the time when we start winding down after playing. It seems like his energy is endless.. until he passes out 10 minutes later for a long nap. I wouldn't be worried about it.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My friend has a young lab who is trying to literally eat the house. They also have a pool table. Husband wrapped the legs with a heavy welcome mat (made of horsehair and is really thick - Home Depot). She says it is working very well (they also sprayed with Bitter Apple and tabasco). He secured it with large tie wraps. It is so stiff it doesn't sag. Their boy is monitored, but there are still times when they play pool he isn't watched enough. Seems to be their answer and hopefully he will mature and get past this stage, but Labs are horrible chewers (worse than our goldens to me).

Perhaps this would work for you??

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i think we are going to have to either put something under there so she can't get there or wrap it all up. It isn't so much the legs at all, its the actual underneath of the table. She is a weird one..

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Don't get down in her face, keep a leash on her and remove her from under the table with the leash rather than getting down there where your face is close to hers. Putting something on the table to stop her from going under there is good prevention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts