Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all!

I currently have a 7 year old golden and am looking to get another. I am trying to make sure I find an ethical breeder with all the proper health clearances. I came across Deer Run Goldens Mystrikingly and think they might fit the bill, but wanted to get a more experienced opinion from the forum to make sure I'm not missing any red flags.

Sire: Advanced Search | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO
Dam: Advanced Search | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO

If they don't seem reputable to you guys do you have any recommendations in the upstate NY area? (I currently have an application in with Golden Sand as well and am waiting to hear back)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
395 Posts
Hi all!

I currently have a 7 year old golden and am looking to get another. I am trying to make sure I find an ethical breeder with all the proper health clearances. I came across Deer Run Goldens (Virginia's Site on Strikingly) and think they might fit the bill, but wanted to get a more experienced opinion from the forum to make sure I'm not missing any red flags.

Sire: Advanced Search | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO
Dam: Advanced Search | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO

If they don't seem reputable to you guys do you have any recommendations in the upstate NY area? (I currently have an application in with Golden Sand as well and am waiting to hear back)

Thanks!
Sire and his pedigree have the necessary clearances but the dam’s pedigree is like Swiss cheese — there are missing clearances all over the place. The dam herself has clearances but the cardiac clearance is deficient since it was done by a practitioner and not a cardiologist. I’ve seen worse, but you can do much better.

I can’t find a NY breeder list, but if you search around on the forum there are various threads mentioning breeders in the area. Goldensand (I’m assuming you mean VT) is considered a reputable breeder, but with any breeder, always check clearances before proceeding with a litter. You’ll probably want to reach out to other breeders as well, as the demand is still far greater than the supply, and most ethical breeders are 1+ years out on puppies.

·
Kristy
10,750 Posts
Maybe take your time and wait on GoldenSand. If you choose to go with someone like the other breeder, I encourage you to get strong health insurance and keep it in place the first couple of years. There is nothing more fun than two dogs, but the health costs can be crazy and if a litter has a pedigree with a lot of missing elbow clearances in it, you're going to have higher odds of an elbow problem. That is a very expensive surgery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts