Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Teddi has been doing very well in class. She really has the potential of being very good at agility. While we have LONG way to go, I think I will get to l learn how to put distance on her etc. I just love that she really seems like she is really starting to understand the game. It took her a while because she kept having her physical setbacks.

So first I decided we would compete CPE because we can keep the jumps lower and we can pick classes without the big contacts (mainly the A frame). However I am bound and determined to be very strict about the footing she runs on. In our area there are not a lot of outdoor events and CPE even less. I am "hoping" the schedule for 2010 is not complete, but right now there is not one trial outdoors near home.

So I started thinking should I run her preferred AKC jumpers? It would mean she has to jump 20". Not a problem for her, but I worry about her joints. Again if I hold to my footing requirement, it would only be about half a dozen trials a year. Most of the trials around here are at one facility and their footing is TOO hard for her. Besides with Belle running AKC she is at the trials anyway. I just don't know what to do.

I asked my trainer to watch her over the winter get a read of her body language. I would not do a whole lot of training at 20". In fact she said I could jump her at home (on grass) 20" and then stay 16" in class. Maybe the class the week before a trial jump her 20". I do not practice her a lot, do a few quick exercises 3-4 times a week at home (less than 10 min) and then move on to our other exercise. Maybe 2 times a week (weather permitting so not winter) we do two training sessions a week, one is her class.

I watch her jump 16" and she is very high over the jumps, so I know the height is not an issue. What do you guys think? Oh it would only be in the jumpers division, no standard.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Have you considered NADAC? The courses are wide open and fun. They also allow mild training in the ring.

I run in AKC as well, but prefer NADAC when building teamwork and confidence - it is just a more relaxed atmosphere..

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think NADAC is even less accessible than CPE. Again it would have to be outdoors, or actually at a soccer venue or on dirt. Not too many of those around here.

I suppose I could look and see what is what. I just know AKC is plentiful in this area.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered NADAC? The courses are wide open and fun. They also allow mild training in the ring.

I run in AKC as well, but prefer NADAC when building teamwork and confidence - it is just a more relaxed atmosphere..
Don't know if I did the search correctly but I did not find ANY NADAC events in MI for the next 12 months.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
What specifically are your concerns re joints and footing? Does Teddi have existing physical limitations/problems or incorrect structure and you're trying to prevent stress?

I have two AKC trials a year within 3 hours - everything else is a 4 hour drive and requires a hotel stay..I feel your pain.

Erica

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Judging from her video recently I would think she would be fine, she does not seem tired, sore or in pain. But, if you choose to run her I would be very cautious. If she seems sore or tired, it is probably not in her best interest. You could always start with just one run on Saturday to see how she does. I know people do, but I would not run my own dog on pain killers.

If you could find a NADAC trials that would be GREAT. There are a few non jumping classes, like tunnelers, weavers and hoopers. I also think she could jump 16"

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts.

Murphy, Teddi has hip dysplasia (THR two years ago for her first birthday) and elbow dysplasia diagnosed a year ago. We are managing her very well for now, and my vets have said let her be a dog. If she wants to play let her, if she comes up sore then you know that game is not good. Knock on wood, she has not been sore since late January.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts.

Murphy, Teddi has hip dysplasia (THR two years ago for her first birthday) and elbow dysplasia diagnosed a year ago. We are managing her very well for now, and my vets have said let her be a dog. If she wants to play let her, if she comes up sore then you know that game is not good. Knock on wood, she has not been sore since late January.
after having to put my girl down that had ed/hd this summer...i wouldn't do it. Agility is SO strenuous. And there is a big difference between letting her be a dog and having her train/compete in agility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts