Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My puppy, Beau, is 3 months old. He can sit, lay, and shake (also - roll over, but i still have to move the treat over him). He can sit and lay with just hand signals, too. But he seems to only be able to do it in the house, with no other dogs nearby. If our other dogs get nearby he completely forgets what he's supposed to be doing. I want him to reliably do it, regardless of distractions. (he's been doing sit/lay since 7weeks) I found a local puppy kindergarten where we could train and he'd also get some puppy-playtime. I wanted to show ya'll the website and get some opinions. It looks pretty good to me..

Is the price good for what i'm getting? (five 45min-1hour sessions for 55$)
Is 9 AKC obedience titles really good? (that's what the trainer has)
Etc, anything you can think of to help me decide

http://www.crittercampms.com/index.html

The catch: the first session starts on Tuesday at 6:30pm.
I have to decide by then whether I want to enroll him. If I don't enroll him on Tuesday, I have to wait 5 weeks for the next course to open up.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Puppy kindergarten is so fun! The price seems OK, but things are more expensive here in the Seattle area. I can't say how good the trainer is, of course, but the class description and your dog's age seems like a good match.

My puppy isn't necessarily learning to avoid distractions in class, but the trainer is teaching us how to teach that at home and on walks. As my husband keeps reminding me - the dog doesn't learn anything in class, I'm the one that's supposed to be learning.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great point - I love learning new things about how to train and stuff. I've bought several books and it's definitely helped. I figure for 55$, Beau gets play time, I get to learn some stuff, and I might meet some people to have "play dates" with later on. New friends for myself and for Beau.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'd do it. I skimmed their site really quick, and they seem like a good spot just based on that quick skim. Plus, puppy kindergarten is a wonderful experience for both you and your dog. I've taken puppy kindergarten at my local dog training place twice (once with Comet and once with Jax), and even though I knew everything they were going to tell me on the second time, it was still a great experience for Jax and me. That kind of controlled-distraction environment is priceless for certain good citizen skills.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decision made!

Puppy kindergarten starts this evening! My mom and sister are going with me and Beau. (Mom to drive, sister to be my "partner").

One question - beau's neck has a bad spot on it from his pulling so hard against the leash. It's rubbed raw and healing slowly (with help of neosporin) The brochure says to bring a nylon collar and leash. I'm using a harness right now because of the boo-boo. I'll bring him on the harness and switch to the collar if the trainer insists, but I'd rather keep him on the harness. Do ya'll think it'll be a issue?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
I don't think it should be an issue at least not at the 1st class.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Puppy Kindergarten is a must, especially to work through distractions. My now 15 week old is way ahead of the skills being taught (for the past two weeks) but it's the value of doing everything in a different environment.. You might find some of the owner discussions are "old news" but it's sometimes good to hear different perspectives.

5 sessions at $55 is a bargain to.
I live in Northern Illinois and 6, one hour classes is $130.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Hello from another Mississippian! Where are you located in MS? I absolutely believe in puppy kindergarten!! Do not get frustrated because a 3 month old pup has the attention span of a gnat! Keep it fun. If he is current on shots, I say go for it!! Good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got his vaccine records, treats, collar, leash, harness, money, the enrollment form, potty bags..... Am I missing anything?

Hey there, mississippian! - I'm up near memphis, Tn, about 5 minutes from the border.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I've got his vaccine records, treats, collar, leash, harness, money, the enrollment form, potty bags..... Am I missing anything?

Hey there, mississippian! - I'm up near memphis, Tn, about 5 minutes from the border.

I would make sure you bring water and a bowl. Otherwise, I think you have everything. Maybe bring a favorite toy too just in case treats are not enough. Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Critter Camp Blues

Hey everybody.....

I hate to say it, but I'm not satisfied with the puppy kindergarten by Critter Camp. I was excited to go and was extremely disappointed. My main reason for enrolling Beau was for SOCIALIZATION. With puppies his own age.

My complaints:
1. Nobody else showed up. Beau was the only puppy (so no socialization.) Thank god, my mom and sister went with me or it would have been really bad.

2. The trainer let her Rottweiler, 7/8 months old, in to "play" with Beau (3 months) since no one else showed up. The Rottweiler was WAY bigger than Beau, and she had told us before when we saw her in the kennel "she gets a little aggressive some times." The dog didn't get aggressive, but it was way too big to play with Beau. Beau pee'd himself immediately when the dog came near him. I know it was probably "submissive urination" but, still. The dog was all over him and Beau's tail stayed tucked under and he kept running away, generally to me, my mom, or my sister. She left the dog in there with Beau for at least 10 minutes before taking her out.

3. Very little training went on and none at all that Beau didn't know already. She had us all sit in a big circle and call beau to each of us, then we make him sit and lay. She reprimanded us when we said the wrong thing (things we've used to teach him). She refused to let us say "lay down" - she said to use "down".

4. She talked a lot about nothing to do with the dogs/training

5. She went in and out of her house (where the training is) and in and out of the garage a lot, leaving us alone with her granddaughter.

6. (I don't know if this was rude or not...) At the end, before we left, I asked her, "I'd like to ask something, which might sound bad.... If no other people show up by the second week, can I get a refund on the last 3 sessions. On my paper, it specifically says my main goal is socialization, which he can't get with no more puppies...." Her reply: "I don't usually give refunds, I can teach the whole course in one session, so..... Or, I can get my daughter to bring king early for Beau to play with King (her granddaughter's dog), but I have a feeling more people will show up next week....."

7. She had all of her dogs locked in dirty kennels in a drafty garage.

So my questions for ya'll:

1. Was I rude to ask for a refund?
2. Should I go again at all?
3.Should I go next week, see if anyone else shows up, and if no one does, cut my losses and stop attending (missing the last 3 weeks)?
4. Should I go to all of them?

Anything else you have to say would be appreciated

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do you have any friends and family who have dogs or whom you might be able to persuade to get a dog?

I have relatives who have a dog, and I frequently visit with my dog- both dogs have a blast! I also was able to take my dog to a larger family gathering on Christmas where he met another new dog friend.

I know that doesn't help you with the training questions, but I thought it might help from the socialization angle.

I always thought it'd be neat to adopt puppies from the same litter as a relative or friend and have them visit each other for play dates. Things have never worked out that way, but it might be cool in theory.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
I'd demand a refund. Most places I have trained at offer a refund if you cancel after the first week. She should do so.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I agree with Megora. Do you have an email for her? I would say that you did not feel comfortable being the only one in the class.

Unless, you wanted to wait until you go next week and if there are no others next week...I would be demanding a refund. You have already voiced your concerns with her.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You should ask for a refund if you are not happy. Our trainer will not even start a class until there are enough dogs in it. Sometimes we end up waiting a month for the next class to start, but at least there are enough dogs for socialization. I am not too impressed by her ability to teach a 5 week course in one session. Ummm, why is she stretching it out over 5 weeks then?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think what i'm gonna do is go next week and hope people show up. If no one shows up, I'm not going to even bother with the class. I'll ask her for a refund immediately, even if its only 44$ since I did go to the first whole class. Her other excuse for not giving a refund is that she offers a "private session" (the one where she teaches all the 5 weeks in one session) for 50$. If she says that again, I'll explain that a "private session" is the complete opposite of what I wanted and the puppy kindergarten she was providing for me was not what I wanted, not what her website/broucure said, and would not benefit me or my puppy. Hopefully she'll understand and give me a refund. If she doesn't - should I drop it? threaten her with small claims court?

·
Registered
581 Posts
If she doesn't - should I drop it? threaten her with small claims court?
If you paid via your debit card or personal check, you might be able to initiate a chargeback through your bank. I don't know how those work or even if it'd be successful, but you could go to your bank and discuss it with someone there and see if it's an option.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
do you have a receipt ..does it describe the class?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think what she did with her puppy was counter productive, rude and a big red flag! It is not enough money to go to small claims court about but you should politely ask for a refund if no one shows up. Do not let her puppy play with your dog again...especially if your pup is so scared it peed on itself and never relaxed enough to play. It is setting it up for failure...

Keep looking for other classes. Do you have a county shelter or humane society where you live? Often they will have classes or recommend one. So sorry this was a bad fit but protect your pup first and foremost...

Reactions: LibertyME
1 - 20 of 29 Posts