Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tally:
Sunday: Demo dog for pet classes; test 8 CGC students; heeling patterns, heeling drive game, signals, go outs
Monday : Lesson with Sherry Britton; Monday night Run Throughs at Sacarrappa.
Tuesday: 20 minute out of sight down stay, push back heeling, go outs, drop on recall
Wednesday: Lesson with Judy Kay- new signs for Rally Advanced Excellent; at home, push back heeling drive game, signals, go outs
Thursday: practice new Rally signs; demo dog; push back heeling drive game, signals,go outs.
Friday: Obedience group in Portland- work on broad jump, drop on recall, out of sight group stays; demo dog for Rally O class
Saturday: Push back heeling, go outs, drop on recall, signals

Copley
Sunday: Gaiting- down and back, free stacking
Monday: Lesson with Sherry Britton, Attention Heeling, fronts and finishes.
Tuesday: OFA hips/elbows
Wednesday Rally O class with Judy Kay; New signs for Rally Excellent. Demo dog for classes
Thursday: Test dog for CGC class in Edgecomb; Heeling, fronts, finishes- Choose to Heel game first
Friday gaiting down and backs free stack; field training group in Freeport
Saturday Handling lesson

Lush- fractured toe
Finn-demo dog noseworks and rally o

Reactions: Sunrise

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I am not familiar with 2 of the games you have mentioned - can you describe them a bit please?

Heeling Drive game
Push Back Heeling

Reactions: hollyk

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
I am not familiar with 2 of the games you have mentioned - can you describe them a bit please?

Heeling Drive game
Push Back Heeling
I was thinking the same thing!
I think I know what push-back heeling is but not sure if it's the same thing.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just started taking a weekly lesson with Sally'smom's trainer. The push back heel game is new to me, modified from a tougher Terry Arnold one to build heeling drive, but in our case, straighten the dog's body as he has a ton of drive and watches with great attention, but I have taught him the bad habit of swinging his body out by pushing him with my left shoulder. The game is to line up a row of chairs to add pressure on one side, and then to lead out two or three steps "ready, steady" , asking the dog to heel, and playfully push him back and run forward, asking for heel again and rewarding big for correct position. I have spent a ton of time playing with Tally and he (absurdly knows 'playful" as a roughhouse okay), so that there is nothing negative to him about playing this way. He is all wags /shining eyes. I do think this could be an aversive game for Copley, so I would have to play with him a ton like that first.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Thanks :) Sounds similar to what I call the Break Away game and the Ready, Steady games :)

The left shoulder is key! Bring it too far forward and your dog will forge & wrap, too far back and you'll cause a lag.

A few of my instructors crossed over from obedience to agility without any problems since they are so aware of how our body language impacts our dogs.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I spent last year concentrating so much on learning the breed ring ropes that I didnt do anything with Tally except teach with him as a demo dog and love him as my best buddy. Now, we are starting back to a little work and learning.

When we were just starting out, I was so happy with Tally's pretty heeling that I kept watching him. He'd keep his head and eyes in heel position, but swing his body away from that pressure. While we were more than competitive in novice, I need to reduce my handler errors for Open in order to shine rather than Q and slink away, lol. Winging it paid off with nice scores in novice bc Tally is such an honest dog with beautiful attention, but the deductions for my mistakes as a handler were higher in Open, so it is work time with a tougher trainer. I mainly learned from watching Janice Gunn videos, lol. Most of my pet dog training peers/friends have zero interest in competition beyond APDT Rally O or weight pulls etc and are more focused on rescue/behavior/family dogs.

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Huh, cute idea!
My friends that are helping me with Slater, insist that the most important thing for us is to fight forging/swinging his butt out. We do all of this little stuff to combat that. You build so much drive into heeling it's a side effect. If you watched our little video from yesterday you can see the spins while heeling and also I'm only doing left about turns, all this stuff to the left to keep his butt in.

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Well, I guess I was lucky to have a nice weekend for agility, because it has been raining ever since! So we did not do anything yesterday except work on the balance ball. Agility classes which are normally on Tuesday are off until mid January, so I will have to be creative tonight and think of something we can do inside!

Going to go watch Slaters video now!

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
It is a warm, but rainy day here in MN today, so we stayed inside. Filly and I worked on articles, pivots, gloves, fronts with gloves, and dumbell, bowl work with dumbell, retrieves, and a few signals. Will work on stays later when the house is more busy, and probably some more signals. Rivet has the day off.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
What is bowl work with dumbbell?

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
What is bowl work with dumbbell?
I just have her put her front feet on the bowl, and stand in the front position, with the dumbell in her mouth. We then pivot around the bowl in both directions, staying in the front position the entire time. I do this for a couple reasons. To get her used to moving her hiney over to stay in front position, and help reduce crooked sits, and to condition her muscles on her rear end. I also do some retrieves with her front feet on the bowl. It is just kinda a fun thing to do, and she enjoys it as well.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Okay! I did something similar to teach heel position on a box. Sounds like another fun thing to do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts