Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Rick, you described a thundersnow event during the recent snowstorm in your area, didn't you? It's a relatively rare occurrence, even in the midwest where it happens the most. I'll bet it's even more rare in the northwest.

I witnessed some rather impressive thundersnow in Birmingham, Alabama during the blizzard of 1993. It was scary!

There's a thundersnow research project being conducted at the University of Missouri. They have a Web site at which you can submit your account of the event you witnessed. Here's the link:

Research on Convective Snows - Participate

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Rick, you described a thundersnow event during the recent snowstorm in your area, didn't you? It's a relatively rare occurrence, even in the midwest where it happens the most. I'll bet it's even more rare in the northwest.

I witnessed some rather impressive thundersnow in Birmingham, Alabama during the blizzard of 1993. It was scary!

There's a thundersnow research project being conducted at the University of Missouri. They have a Web site at which you can submit your account of the event you witnessed. Here's the link:

Research on Convective Snows - Participate
I will definitely go post our details. It was very odd. I missed the first lightning strike, but Aleesha saw it. But the thunder was hard to miss.

At that point, I was watching the Seahawk game, and I was waiting for the announcers to say something about it, but they never did.... We're only 30 minutes from the stadium, so you'd think they'd have heard it as well...

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
A TOQUE!!! I haven't heard that for a while. My dad's from Winnepeg and my grandma used to knit us toque's for the winter. I just haven't heard anyone but my family say toque for quite a while. :)
When I met my husband back in the late 1960's that's the first time I ever heard a hat called a toque. I was pretty naive and never got into the drug scene back then so when I would hear the song that went something like this..."One toque over the line Sweet Jesus...one toque over the line" I always thought they were singing about a hat!!!:doh: Now, when I hear that song on an oldies radio station I have to laugh, even though I still don't really know what it means (marijuana?), I at least know they aren't singing about their winter hats.:eek:

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
"One toque over the line Sweet Jesus...one toque over the line" I always thought they were singing about a hat!!!:doh: Now, when I hear that song on an oldies radio station I have to laugh, even though I still don't really know what it means (marijuana?), I at least know they aren't singing about their winter hats.:eek:
I was never in the drug scene, either but I had friends who were.....I did my share of beer drinking, instead.

I believe a toke is a drag. A puff. And I believe it's usually in reference to marijuana....but I've had people ask for a toke of a cigarette, too.

I'm sure Lisa can fill us in, though..... :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm seeing a lot of interesting info on the news about the wintry conditions across the U.S. According to one source, half of the lower 48 states have sow cover, with several of those states completely covered in snow. I'm keeping our Midwestern friends in my prayers; the situation is especially tough for many people in Missouri. And of course, I'm thinking about our Canadian friends as well.

This morning, I saw a satellite image that showed some of this snow cover, and I thought I'd share. A meteorologist named Brian Peters wrote the following description of the photo:

"Satellite images often show excellent examples of snow fields, and this is the case today across the central United States. The snow that fell late last week is still visible with clear skies, but some clouds also show up on the northern end of the snow field. I’ve annotated the image and included a line that shows the approximate demarcation between the clouds and the snow field. Sometimes it is hard to tell the clouds from the snow. For most cases, simply looking for veins (rivers or roads) or spots (lakes) can help to differentiate between snow and clouds. Some times shadows with a low sun angle can be deceiving and make it tougher to determine snow/clouds.
Just another interesting aspect that the satellite view can bring."

This info is from a site that's run by some Birmingham, Alabama meteorologists. I depend on the info they offer to make my forecasts here in Atlanta; the local weather people are clueless. The "Weather Extreme Video" is an especially useful feature. These guys focus on the Southeast, but they also offer some interesting tidbits about what's going on in the rest of the country as well as Canada.

Here's their link: ABC 33/40 Weather Blog

And here's the photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Phil (my husband) his brother lives up "In The Great White North" lol. North Bay eh. We have snow here today....its awfully cold outside. Got to go out this afternoon and finish up the christmas shopping. - UGH

·
Registered
499 Posts
Phil (my husband) his brother lives up "In The Great White North" lol. North Bay eh. We have snow here today....its awfully cold outside. Got to go out this afternoon and finish up the christmas shopping. - UGH
It's cold here too and there's snow on the ground... yesterday was quite slippery on the sidewalks.

I'm home sick today and boy do I wish there was a golden at my side!!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
It's cold here too and there's snow on the ground... yesterday was quite slippery on the sidewalks yesterdays.

I'm home sick today and boy do I wish there was a golden at my side!!
Yes I have to go out and get 1 last present for a good friend of mine and mail it to her in Washington. I'm not looking forward to going out soon. UGH - Sick at home - hope you feel better soon. I wonder if Katie will like to snuggle when were not feeling good. I hear Goldens are VERY smart dogs :)

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
The toque is probably my favourite item for winter wear! Besides, it hides your bad hair days.

An equally odd occurrance is that in Calgary (and the foothills area) we get warm westerly wind called chinooks. In 24h we can go from -15°C to 10°C and you will see people start wearing shorts and sandals in winter.

Bob and Doug Mackenzie are Canadian icons!

Speaking of knitting...I enjoyed making toques as well, but I can't anymore because it hurts my right arm (repetitive stress) :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just had to reply to this -- because this was a huge challenge for me. Living in Nebraska and on a single income I was reluctant to spend the $1200 dollars to put in the final line of fencing needed. Plus I thought all the walking three to five times a day was good for me ... and yes, that was true I warmed up much better and stayed fit. but the thought of another winter of walking on those extreme days got me to thinking. A good friend of mine said "just put up a temporary fence!" Well, I had visions of orange vinyl and some tacky kind of structure ... but she set me straight. We went to Menards and for around $50 bucks got everything we needed. 60ft of wire fencing rolled up and 7-8 thin stakes. With an old post pounder thingy, we had that temporary fence up in an hour!!! And it looks great!! In fact, you can hardly see it! I was worried that Blondie would dig under or push thru -- it's sturdy but flexes a little when you push on it. But no, she sees it fine, and has made no attempt at barrelling thru or under -- AND she LOVES her yard!! I watch her carefully from the door now -- and still walk her most days at 5:00 when I get home. But it is truly a relief and I am quickly getting spoiled. I may have to fork over for the real thing in the spring! If anyone needs better instructions -- I will gladly help out. I didn't think it was possible and so economical -- I would have done it long ago. My yard doesn't look as pretty - but hey, it's winter.

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
I wish that we had our fence up in our backyard, but we just moved into our house this year in January and the builder didn't put in topsoil until September. They didn't send us the grading certificate until late November so we couldn't get our sod in.

I don't mind going for daily walks with Wiggles as long as I'm dressed properly, but it was difficult when it felt like -35 outside. With the boots on, Wiggles' paws didn't get cold from walking on snow and ice and he could have kept playing outside in the snow.

I'm more than dreading the cost of the fence, but I know at least one side will be a shared cost since the neighbours are really good...Their little Chihuahua-Poodle cross always plays with Wiggles. It's just a matter of determining the TYPE of fencing.

Fiberglass/Plastic? No...it's just white. Cedar? Would need regular staining and maintenance but looks beautiful. Chainlink? Low-maintenance, not as much privacy.

Any thoughts on type of fencing?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts