Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm using the traditional, bag and trash method. Well every Thursday I get the pleasant chore of moving the cans out to the front of the house to be picked up. We all know how bad those trash cans can smell with a week's worth of dog waste in there aging, it's an absolute assault on the nose. I've sprayed disinfectant and a can of lysol down there everyday, it doesn't help at all.

So I started looking up how to rid of this problem, other get than getting rid of Maverick:p: I came across these:Amazon.com: FLUSH PUPPIES - 8 Refill Rolls (80 bags) - Flushable & Biodegradable Dog Waste / Poop Bags (*now available at Pet Supermarket!*): Pet Supplies
Anyone ever try these sorts of bags before, I mean flushing it seems like the cleanest and most efficient way to dispose of dog poop.

What other methods do you all use? And how do you keep your trash cans smelling less offensive? I gotta rinse them every Friday, and it works, but temporarily.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Wow, those are expensive. I just use BioBags because they are truly biodegradable. I don't have to worry about the garbage though because I live in an apartment building. :) If I had my own house and a yard I would probably look into those septic tanks that you put in your yard.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, those are expensive. I just use BioBags because they are truly biodegradable. I don't have to worry about the garbage though because I live in an apartment building. :) If I had my own house and a yard I would probably look into those septic tanks that you put in your yard.
Yeah they are quite pricey...

I did look into those septic tank options, but I actually got to find where the septic tank is now lol. Gotta look at the manual that came with the house, seems like the best option.

I've always thought about using a pooper-scooper and bringing it to the toilet, but if I have one mistep that could be one giant mess I would have...LOL

As for the yard, we have synthetic grass, long before we decided to get Maverick. Getting the urine smell out of it is almost impossible, one reason why I can't wait for the rainy season lol

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Yeah they are quite pricey...

I did look into those septic tank options, but I actually got to find where the septic tank is now lol. Gotta look at the manual that came with the house, seems like the best option.

I've always thought about using a pooper-scooper and bringing it to the toilet, but if I have one mistep that could be one giant mess I would have...LOL

As for the yard, we have synthetic grass, long before we decided to get Maverick. Getting the urine smell out of it is almost impossible, one reason why I can't wait for the rainy season lol
I wouldn't even try using a pooper scooper and going to the toilet.. I've already dropped Molly's turds while picking them up with the bag before tying it up.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
I have a 40 acre park behind my house. Twice a day, we walk the mile around the park. I have her trained to do her business during these walks. I bag it, and throw it in one of the trash cans scattered around the park. Occasionally, a third bowel movement is needed. Last week, I believe there were only three piles in the yard.

Try to train your dog to go on demand. I never thought it would be possible, but she'll squeeze out a two-incher to get her two pieces of freeze-dried liver. :) I found it also came in handy when we went camping 4 hours away. She actually pooped four times that day...once in the morning, once at night, and both times that we stopped for potty breaks on the way up.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 40 acre park behind my house. Twice a day, we walk the mile around the park. I have her trained to do her business during these walks. I bag it, and throw it in one of the trash cans scattered around the park. Occasionally, a third bowel movement is needed. Last week, I believe there were only three piles in the yard.

Try to train your dog to go on demand. I never thought it would be possible, but she'll squeeze out a two-incher to get her two pieces of freeze-dried liver. :) I found it also came in handy when we went camping 4 hours away. She actually pooped four times that day...once in the morning, once at night, and both times that we stopped for potty breaks on the way up.
I can definitely train him to go when I want him to just gotta work on it. He poops at the local park I walk him in the morning, but poops early in the morning, like 6am. He really doesn't go again, even after lunch, til we go to the dog park at night and sometimes he'll go twice there in the 90 minutes we are there.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't even try using a pooper scooper and going to the toilet.. I've already dropped Molly's turds while picking them up with the bag before tying it up.
LOL sorry can't help but laugh. It's ok, you'll have plenty of practice time:p:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Try to train your dog to go on demand. I never thought it would be possible, but she'll squeeze out a two-incher to get her two pieces of freeze-dried liver. :)
OK there is something wrong with Molly because hers are 4 inches long and she still won't be done.. that is why I am having such a hard time picking them up!

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
I just say "go potty" and shake the plastic treat container. She really, really likes freeze-dried liver. One piece for a pee, two for a poop.

I don't like dog poop in my yard if I can help it. The pee soaks into the ground so fast, I can't even tell if she went by looking at it. Synthetic grass would certainly make it more complicated. I didn't even know they has such a thing for residential yards. Is that common in that part of the country?

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
OK there is something wrong with Molly because hers are 4 inches long and she still won't be done.. that is why I am having such a hard time picking them up!
It's normally a good size pile. If she doesn't really have to go, she'll squeeze out what she can to get the treat. I saw a couple of two inchers on that camping trip. I was impressed that she did it.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just say "go potty" and shake the plastic treat container. She really, really likes freeze-dried liver. One piece for a pee, two for a poop.

I don't like dog poop in my yard if I can help it. The pee soaks into the ground so fast, I can't even tell if she went by looking at it. Synthetic grass would certainly make it more complicated. I didn't even know they has such a thing for residential yards. Is that common in that part of the country?
Synthetic grass is pretty popular among my area. We had real grass awhile back, but got sick of maintaining it so we opted for synthetic. Alot has changed in the past couple years though an we get alot of flies (thanks local restaurants/fishmarket) and can't enjoy our backyard as much anymore. And with Maverick the flies have doubled, but I can say that fly traps really do work LOL

If the sun is shining on our "lawn" then the urine smell can be pretty strong, I rinse it every night and it just doesn't seem to be enough. I've tried using a mixture of white vinegar and that worked for a day. I can't smell it from inside the house, but outside, depending on the weather, you can smell it just standing.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
. :) If I had my own house and a yard I would probably look into those septic tanks that you put in your yard.
If you ever do get one make sure you dig really deep, deeper than the instructions say. And get lots of septic gravel and make sure your soil drains. We made the mistake of just digging to the minimum and it's just not draining, no matter how much enzymes we put in. I'm dreading having to dig that thing up.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
If you ever do get one make sure you dig really deep, deeper than the instructions say. And get lots of septic gravel and make sure your soil drains. We made the mistake of just digging to the minimum and it's just not draining, no matter how much enzymes we put in. I'm dreading having to dig that thing up.
Thank you! I will remember this.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
We bought a small metal trash can and lined it with a plastic bag. That is where all the poop goes. We also pick up the poop with bags so all poop is in a bag that goes in the container. On trash day the big bag goes in the trash can. We don't have any smell in our trash cans.

·
Mr. Fancy Pants and Roo
1,102 Posts
Our property is about an acre with a field behind it. Before we got him the electric fence he would do his doggy buisness in the field. For all the other times when when I use bio bags, which apparently take 3-6 months to full dissolve.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We bought a small metal trash can and lined it with a plastic bag. That is where all the poop goes. We also pick up the poop with bags so all poop is in a bag that goes in the container. On trash day the big bag goes in the trash can. We don't have any smell in our trash cans.
That's what we do too. The trick is to keep the lid on nice and tight, and keep it in a shady spot if you can. On trash day I just tie it tight and drop it by the curb.

I looked at the flushing bags, and I wouldn't feel comfortable flushing something like that into my toilet, especially with today's low flow systems. One downstream snag and you are going to become good friends with your local plumber. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,821 Posts
I see these bags are Spetic tank safe, I don't know if I'd flush them down mine. I have two goldens, that's an awful lot to be flushing into a Septic System.

We pick up our dog waste daily, put it in a bag, leave it out until Garbage day when we add it to the trash.

Drs. F & S sells a pet waste system, you can probably find several others at online retailers.

Pet Waste Removal: Doggie Dooley In-Ground Pet Waste Digester Systems

·
Registered
202 Posts
...poop...

This is going to sound silly!...
...but what about those Diaper genie systems...you put the poopy diaper in it and twist and no muss no smell... Then when full it goes in the trash..:D

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Putting a little baking soda in a trash container can help with odors, though I found in the summer, with 100+ temperatures, the droppings dry out like jerky in no time at all and don't smell as bad. That's maybe one good thing about such hot weather. :)

The other good thing I discovered this year is when we switched Toby to a low residue prescription food for his digestive issues, he poops a lot less--less mess, less stink! :)

I buy baking soda at Costco in the big containers and use it on our regular bins when I'm throwing out fruit rinds or other organic type of materials. Our trash is picked up once a week, so anything I throw out right after it's picked up can get really rank. :yuck:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts