Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've lived with dead dog pee spots in my grass since I've had dogs. I know it's just one of the sacrifices we make to have our sweet furballs. I would not EVER trade having my pups for nice green grass but I always ask other dog owners if they've ever found anything that can (safely) help with this. I know there are home remedies that I've heard of (tomato juice, cranberry juice) but I've never tried them. There are also treat type things (grass savr', etc.) and I've never tried those either. I've heard only girl dogs kill the grass but I know it's not true cause our Jake made huge yellow spots in our lawn. He liked to go in one ten foot area and it was all yellow spots. Anyone have anything on this or do you all live with it like I do?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Water, water, water...immediately after a dog has urinated. Sounds like fun, eh?

The best thing to do is, train them where to go from day one. For some of us, myself included, this suggestion comes too late..:( I supposed I could do some training...

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Watering is what we did.....seemed much more important before they tore up most of the lawn anyway.....
I have two Goldens and sometime 3, like this week, and I still have grass. What's up with that? They are allowed on all parts of the lawn and even run through my garden. I have grass...I have brown spots too, but I have grass?

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
I have two Goldens and sometime 3, like this week, and I still have grass. What's up with that? They are allowed on all parts of the lawn and even run through my garden. I have grass...I have brown spots too, but I have grass?
The rainy season doesn't help. And I don't do much for yard care, only because it's tough to get motivated to do that with a rental. Though, we are hoping to buy this house......so I might need to change my thinking...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Collette has access to the whole lawn and we do have yellow/brown spots. Watering doesn't seem to help much. Now I have yellow/brown spots with a ring of extremely bright green grass, extra long. haha

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Collette has access to the whole lawn and we do have yellow/brown spots. Watering doesn't seem to help much. Now I have yellow/brown spots with a ring of extremely bright green grass, extra long. haha
Exactly...the link I posted way back when mentioned urine diluting as it spreads (not the exact words) and it becomes a fertilizer.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Keeping the lawn watered will help you tremendously with the problem, you will be able to have nice green grass and dogs.

I water mine in hot weather about every other day here.
I think a lot of it depends on the type of grass you have though if I remember correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts