Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on all week, so maybe didn't read this being discussed. Earlier in the week, I read in the paper about someone in NYC (who had a barking dog that the neighbors complained about) had the dog de-barked.
The vocal cords are cut, so the dog can only make a wheezy sort of sound.
Reaction?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Coincidentally I read in a magazine today that it is being banned in certain areas in America? Or at least there are plans to ban the procedure. I don't actually know where it is legal!
I think it's awful, imagine having your vocal cords cut out and suddenly not being able to talk. Terrible.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I don't even think this procedure is taught in Veterinary School anymore because it is a surgery of convenience.

I hate the idea of the surgery. If proper precautions aren't taken, scar tissue can form and can cause a multitude of eating/drinking problems leading to death. :(

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
It's not allowed in some countries at all, and I have to agree. You can train your dog not to bark, it does take some work and effort. If you don't want all that work, don't get a barking breed. Or use a barking collar, which does the training for you.

Same goes for declawing of cats, if you cut their nails every other week even, they end up with nothing to scratch people or furniture with. Our cat is pretty good, she does claw at the carpet on the stairs here and there but mostly will go to the post for it. She will scratch the kids, but then again they're usually pestering her and she does warn them first. I would hate to have a declawed cat and have the kids think it's fine to pester, then go elsewhere and get shredded (and poor declawed cat...).

Lana

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We saw (heard?) several collies at the dog show last summer who had been debarked. Made my DH FURIOUS..... it was nauseating to hear those pathetic raspy sounds.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I think if the dog is being forced to be "de-barked" the person should be as well.

I don't understand some people - this just makes my stomach turn.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Ironic though, the sheltie and collie breeders tend to be more 'for' debarking as they get a lot of dogs returned for barking or turned into shelters.... mind you I once had to correct some people who were looking at a sheltie as a rescue, the woman actually told them that shelties were NOT barkers, did NOT need much grooming and were low key, calm dogs (she more or less asked them what they were looking for in a dog and said she had exactly that in a sheltie.... I approached them later in the afternoon at the show and filled them in before the ended up returning a dog...some people!).

Lana

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
IMHO it's sick, cruel and disgusting.
Someone actually brought that up as a possible last resort when we were having problems with Gunner's anxiety barking and I almost went through the roof. Never in a million years would I do that to my dog.

Newsflash: dogs bark. Some more than others. If someone isn't prepared to deal with it, or isn't willing to put the time and effort into training if a problem comes up, well then they probably should get a cat.

This just makes me sick.

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
It doesn't get taught here at Ohio State Veterinary School. It makes my stomach turn to even think about it.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
We saw (heard?) several collies at the dog show last summer who had been debarked. Made my DH FURIOUS..... it was nauseating to hear those pathetic raspy sounds.
Yes, exactly... it is such a creepy noise! It is SO sad to hear. There was a lady with a little dog who used to walk by my elementary school whose dog was "de-barked" (I seem to think she said it was for "medical" reasons, though I have no idea whether that was true)... that was well over 15 years ago and I STILL remember those "pathetic raspy sounds" :( I think that dog tried even harder to bark because of it!! :uhoh: :no:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
When I was in San Diego, the folks across the street had to have their Shelties debarked. Their next door neighbor complained so much the police had animal control involved and were threatening to take the dogs away.

Which I don't think would have been legal. I don't think you can really do anything about noise as long as it doesn't happen after 10pm, or before 6am.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
In against it as a matter of convenience, but I might consider it if it meant the dog would not lose his life -- assuming the owners had done due dilligence in trying to modify and manage the behavior other ways.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts

One of these Shelties was debarked and you can still hear it. I don't think I would bother. I had a Cocker Spaniel that barked her head off, but she was the greatest watch dog!

These dogs are rescues...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I remember when I was in third grade my dad and stepmom had her Cocker Spaniel debarked. Even at that age, I hated the thought of it. What sweet justice that after the dog healed, there was a constant gurgling sound of flem whenever he breathed (meaning, all the time). Very unfortunate for the dog overall, but I was so pleased that the flemmy breathing bothered them more than the barking! That'll teach ya!

Luckily, I got to spend the majority of the time at my mom's house. :bowl:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Mini-Lassie got pipes :)

One of these Shelties was debarked and you can still hear it. I don't think I would bother. I had a Cocker Spaniel that barked her head off, but she was the greatest watch dog!

These dogs are rescues...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Position statement from the parent organization of our breed, the Golden Retriever Club of America (well, for those of us who reside in the United States of America--I realize we are an international group, so your country's kennel clubs/parent clubs may have different or similar position statements).

http://www.grca.org/thegrca/debark.html

·
Registered
582 Posts
My foster failure, Buddy, came to me de-barked. This is a dog who rarely makes a sound (other than grunting and groaning - he's ten or eleven). It took me quite a while to figure it out because he's not a frequent barker and I doubt he ever was.

The sound he makes is a croaky whine. At full volume I can't hear him in the next room if the door is closed. When he needs to go out I can't hear him unless I'm in the same room. It just breaks my heart to hear him trying to get someone's attention and he doesn't have the "pipes". My main prayer is to choose to believe it was done by a vet. The millers do it vastly more crudely and without an anesthetic!

But why de-bark a golden? They just plain aren't that vocal unless you count a few minutes of extreme excitement occasionally.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts