Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am hoping you can provide advice on DCM and Diet. Henry, our golden was on Acana Single Duck for about 2 years and was doing fantastic until I heard about DCM and the link that Acana has with that and heart disease.

We understandably got spooked and changed him over to Farmina Cod and Orange right before Thanksgiving. He is now fully transitioned and has been for a while but he is very itchy and his stools are always soft. This is not something that happened on Acana at all.

Any advice on something else to try? Henry has a lot of sensitivities so would need something that takes that into account (novel protein and not a huge list of ingredients).

Any help would be amazing - Henry and I would both appreciate it

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I did some research and was exploring Wellness Simple. They have a limited ingredient option with low grain. Have you tested your dog's taurine levels yet? Pumpkin (1/4 cup with 1 tsp original Metamucil will help with soft stools, but not the itching).

Are you part of the Facebook group Taurine Deficiency in Golden Retrievers? Lots of good information there.

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,286 Posts
I suggest trying Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach, it's formulated to take care of stomach-soft stools and skin problems.

I have been feeding it for about 8 years, my boy had a sensitive stomach, many members recommended it to me. I feed the Salmon formula, it does not contain wheat, corn, or soy, has a lot of Omega 3s in it.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I suggest trying Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach, it's formulated to take care of stomach-soft stools and skin problems.

I have been feeding it for about 8 years, my boy had a sensitive stomach, many members recommended it to me. I feed the Salmon formula, it does not contain wheat, corn, or soy, has a lot of Omega 3s in it.

I’ve been seeing a lot of recommendations for this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much! So question - is Dog Food Advisor reliable information? Because based on that, they do not recommend any Purina Pro plan foods.

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Thank you so much! So question - is Dog Food Advisor reliable information? Because based on that, they do not recommend any Purina Pro plan foods.

Thank you!

In a word, no. He is a human dentist with no animal nutrition education. I have found that the foods he declares to be superior are foods that have a list of ingredients a human would eat. But dogs are not humans and their needs are different. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about dog food based on feeling and emotion. The whole grain-free thing pretty much happened because of the who low-carb/no carb diet fad that hit the human population in the 90s (or whenever it started). And look where that has gotten so many dogs, especially Goldens. I trust the science.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I transitioned from grain free to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach (the salmon formula) with no issues at all. I found it gave me all of the same benefits as the other grain free salmon product I was using (Merrick). Luckily I had only been on grain free for a few months. Before that I was feeding Purina Pro Plan Sport. I stopped feeding it and switch to the Purina Pro Plan Joint Management after talking to a nutritionist at Purina, and my vet recently. Duke is a field dog and has a sore elbow so the Joint Management has some of the supplements I had been giving in it already. I didn't know until I called Purina but they also make Merrick foods.

Through the entire process I ended up finding out Duke has a seasonal allergy this time of year and it had nothing to do with the food. If your having itching I can't say enough good things about a Cytopoint injection. If I get Duke one in December we have no issues the rest of the year. The first time we tried it he had to have two injections, each a month a part, but I think it was because the issue had been going on longer.

I will not switch from Purina again. I like the fact that I can call and talk to a nutritionist easily and have specific questions answered. They were very helpful when I called.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts