Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say that Tito took a wonderful 3rd place in Open, with 11 dogs in the class. I didn't expect him to place at all, and I was very pleased!!
BUT
There were 27 dogs entered. 19 showed up, which broke the major.
There were 30 bitches entered. 17 showed up, which also broke the major.
What's wrong with these people??? The only major all weekend in what should have been all majors all days was in dogs yesterday (luckily for me!!!).
The people that didn't show weren't from all that far away. Our weather was fine.
I just don't get it.
That's almost HALF of the bitches not showing up.
a lot of people were really, really disgusted.
:mad:

·
16,000 Posts
First, let me say that Tito took a wonderful 3rd place in Open, with 11 dogs in the class. I didn't expect him to place at all, and I was very pleased!!
BUT
There were 27 dogs entered. 19 showed up, which broke the major.
There were 30 bitches entered. 17 showed up, which also broke the major.
What's wrong with these people??? The only major all weekend in what should have been all majors all days was in dogs yesterday (luckily for me!!!).
The people that didn't show weren't from all that far away. Our weather was fine.
I just don't get it.
That's almost HALF of the bitches not showing up.
a lot of people were really, really disgusted.
:mad:
It's a possibility that the no shows were also entered elsewhere, and chose the other shows. Or, anticipation of weather... or, between having entered and the actual show, some finished. OR, they didn't feel like going. :curtain:

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so in order to try for majors, I need to enter shows with at least 42 males entered, to allow for no-shows.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrowl

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well, in my beginner's guide to dog shows it says that it is bad etiquette to enter a show and not show up (excluding emergencies), especially majors. Even if you finished before that, there were probably shows you went to to get your dog finished where you needed that for yourself.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of No-Shows. Perhaps it's just a bad time of year for Dog shows.. they had to pay for the entries... I guess they have money to burn.

I'm out of the loop with Goldens and how many will bring a major. How many for a 5 point?

·
Registered
329 Posts
While it's frustrating that people didn't show, it doesn't really bother me. I've no-showed a number of times in obedience and will have to in conformation as well. As first a law student and then an attorney there are times that I just have to work through the weekend. I never really know that until about twelve hours before (or less) and with way shows are run...I pretty much have the choice of entering one day and assuming I will have to work the other (but losing out on the chance to show both days if I don't have to work at all- which also happens!) or entering both days and losing one or both entries if I have to work. I know several nurses/doctors that have this dilemma as well- it's not like anyone is trying to break the major or screw up the OTCH points etc, it's just the way life goes and work comes above dog shows.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'll admit there were quite a few times this fall that I was a no show for obedience (don't do conformation). Between working two jobs and trying to raise a young puppy, there were some weekends that came around and I just said "I can't do it." I always think it won't be a problem when I sign up, but then when the time actually gets here its a different story.

The really tough one is when you have just enough dogs entered for points (breed or otch). Chances are someone won't show up, so who wants to drive all that way for nothing. But then again, you don't want to be the one that doesn't show and breaks the points. I was in that situation at the beginning of the year. Exactly six dogs entered in Open B, and the show was 7 1/2 hours away. I went, but one person ended up not showing. I won open, but it counted for nothing. :(

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In this area, 36 dogs, 44 bitches.
For a 3 point, we need 21 dogs, 23 bitches.

That's a LOT of gorgeous goldens to beat!

Wow! That's a lot of No-Shows. Perhaps it's just a bad time of year for Dog shows.. they had to pay for the entries... I guess they have money to burn.

I'm out of the loop with Goldens and how many will bring a major. How many for a 5 point?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
of course, things come up. Dogs get sick. Kids get sick. Work interferes, and so on.
But for 13 out of 30 to not show up....and several of them were there the day before.... makes me think they just plain decided not to bother staying. Can't help thinking that.
On a side note, I have never seen a show around here where there weren't enough entries in either Open B or Utility B for OTCH points! A lot of ours have 20+ OTCH points for each event.

I'll admit there were quite a few times this fall that I was a no show for obedience (don't do conformation). Between working two jobs and trying to raise a young puppy, there were some weekends that came around and I just said "I can't do it." I always think it won't be a problem when I sign up, but then when the time actually gets here its a different story.

The really tough one is when you have just enough dogs entered for points (breed or otch). Chances are someone won't show up, so who wants to drive all that way for nothing. But then again, you don't want to be the one that doesn't show and breaks the points. I was in that situation at the beginning of the year. Exactly six dogs entered in Open B, and the show was 7 1/2 hours away. I went, but one person ended up not showing. I won open, but it counted for nothing. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts