Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

2861 - 2869 of 2869 Posts

·
Lubbin mi prends!
8,954 Posts
Ups - good story!!! Glad you got it out!

Kisses and hugs to you and Major!

Major - no scratching in this area!

Heike

·
Lubbin mi prends!
8,954 Posts
yes, indeed.

A very nice photo.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Major got his stitches out yesterday and we got the results of the biopsy. It was a cancer with a very low grade malignancy and was completely removed, so no further treatment is necessary. But it did have to be removed.
On another Major medical note, he jumped off the couch Saturday and hurt himself. He was crying and unwilling to move although he wasn't limping. (Staffies, like all breeds bred for fighting, have a high pain tolerance.) It was really bad - except when we went to the vet, of course. There, he was jumping around like a two-year-old with a back end that wouldn't stop wiggling. The vet felt him all over and couldn't find a sore spot. She sent me home, telling me I should ice where it hurts if he does it again. But, sure enough, last night he hurt himself again and he is so sore. Since she wouldn't give me any pain medicine for him. what do I do now? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I am so glad to hear that the cancer has been removed and Major needs no further treatment!!! As for his injuries....is there any chance you can ring the vet and ask her to prescribe a short term anti-inflammatory drug without seeing him? If not you can try asprin. This is safe for short term use in dogs but do NOT use for more than 5 days. The dosage is 5 to 10 mg per 10 lbs of body weight. In other words, if Major weighs 80 lbs (I don't know how to convert to kg, sorry) he can have one BABY aspirin (which is 80mg) every 12 hours. Make sure it is coated to avoid stomach upset. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
That's really great news about Major Margaret, but sorry that he hurt himself. Get well soon Major so you can take your mum out for a walk!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Margaret, I'm so glad Major's cancer was removed and he's going to be okay! Sorry he hurt himself. I hope he feels better soon.

·
Lubbin mi prends!
8,954 Posts
I am just reading this. Yes - very glad that all is out and now he just has to pace himself and not hurting himself more!!!

2861 - 2869 of 2869 Posts