Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I live in Massachusetts and I am really interested in finding a breeder in the area that tends to breed the darker, or even reddish golden retrievers. I saw on a different thread, someone recommended Top Brass Goldens, who I have since contacted, but I would like some other options (they are in Florida and Illinois). Anyway, the dog would be a pet for my boyfriend and I. We live very active lifestyles and look forward to working with the on training and obedience to a large degree. However, we do not plan on hunting or competing with the dog.

Also, I understand the importance of a sound breeder, rather than one the produces the right 'look.' Any recommendations of GRCA and AKC member reputable breeders, who may specialize in the darker goldens would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Sunfire

www.sunfiregold.com

She has a variety of colors come out of her breedings, from blonde to red and everything in between.

Reactions: Sunrise and JennaC

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Rushill typically has darker colors. More impotantantly, make sure both parents have ALL clearances.

Reactions: JennaC

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Sunfire

www.sunfiregold.com

She has a variety of colors come out of her breedings, from blonde to red and everything in between.
Okay, very biased here but I totally agree! Very active homes and Sunfire dogs go very well together :) All clearances are done

Reactions: Loisiana and JennaC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, Sunfire Gold appears to have some great looking dogs, and they have the health clearences / good pedigree! I hope they are breeding in the spring :)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
None of the good breeders I know specialize in a particular color. They breed within the spectrum designated by the standard. What that means is that some of them will occasionally produce dark dogs in their range.

I encourage you to put color way down your list. Even if your ideal breeder produces some relatively dark dogs, the darker dog in a litter with a range may not be the best personality and temperament for your family.

I always say that your favorite color of Golden is going to be the color of the living, breathing furball by your side.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
When you say active lifestyle, do you mean the dog will run or hike several days a week with you? And that you're willing to take the dog to at least basic obedience classes (from puppy K up through family obedience)?

I ask because that would probably be good minimum for many Sunfire litters. You're going to get a lot of dog if you get a Sunfire dog, and neither of you will be happy if the dog is underexercised or doesn't learn a job. That "job" doesn't have to be hunting or formal obedience, but the dog will need to feel that he's working, so plan on at least doing retrieving and basic obedience.

My boys aren't bred by Sunfire, but both are heavily influenced by Sunfire (Comet's from Windrush, but both parents were bred by Sunfire, and Jax comes from a line breeding of a Sunfire dog). I also know several other Sunfire or Sunfire-heavy dogs. Every single one is an even-tempered, smart, hardworking athlete. And all the dogs I've met at their respective homes have had an "off switch" that lets them be calm and affectionate in the house. In my personal experience the dogs are absolutely wonderful if they've been physically exercised and mentally stimulated, but problematic if undertrained or underexercised.

Whether you go with Sunfire or not, make sure you're completely realistic about the lifestyle you plan for the dog so the breeder can understand if you'll be a good match.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's responses. I would absolutely need to be more specific with the breeder regarding our needs - but in general, we would run it in the morning and then do training the in the afternoon. Weekends would be a little more of an all day exercise/training/socializing.

But on the note of running the dog, do you guys have any recommendations on when is the right age to start going on longer jogs/walks with the dog. I have been reading that you don't want to do it too young because their joints and bones aren't fully developed.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
They are hard to find, in new england, i looked for the reds last year, sunfire is your best bet, i had to go all the way to oregon,to find my red head.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
But on the note of running the dog, do you guys have any recommendations on when is the right age to start going on longer jogs/walks with the dog. I have been reading that you don't want to do it too young because their joints and bones aren't fully developed.
Personally, I don't run my dogs on pavement, and I don't run them on the leash. I train strong recall and polite greeting behavior and then trail run with them off leash. That takes two potential dangers out of the equation. As far as age, I'll train a young pup up to longer and longer off-leash walks in the woods until he's doing a couple of miles. I think we start running short distances (~3 miles) somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Michele Robillard, Maplegrove Goldens in Malta, NY has a litter that was just born Oct. 15th - 5 males/3 females out of her Storm X Gunner that the pedigrees go back to Rush Hill, Mariner, JBG and Chuckanut (to name a few). Looking at her website, both parents are darker golden. MapleGrove Golden Retrievers - Malta, New York

Not sure if the litter is spoken for but might be worth an inquiry.

As far as jogging/running - the growth plates don't close until close to 18 months so jogging & running on pavement is not a good idea until after the growth plates have closed. I would follow what tippykayak suggested and wait until your pup has finished growing before you start taking him/her for a jog/run on pavement.

Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My "red" dog Finn http://k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=270877from Rhonda Mulholland / Sand Dancer Goldens in Maine as is TippyKayak's Jax. Finn is a wise, wonderful, and soulful dog, and has been the best friend to me. There is a big Sunfire influence in her dogs. She doesnt have a web site, but you can find her info on Pine Tree Goldens member breeder listings.
She had a litter this fall with Trooper (Neversink's Road To Belvedere MH *** CCA ), so I am not sure if she will breed again until summer, but you never know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts