Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, our near 5 month Daisy is doing really well except one thing that is becoming quite dangerous to her...

I beleive lots of puppy owners are experiencing those really crazy moments they have for quite literally just a minute - running around like a complete lunatic and out of control, but our's is still doing it and yesterday she crashed really hard into a stool and really hurt herself (before I could 'try' and get hold of her). I was really upset to see her yelping and hurt and could only comfort her :-(

I thought maybe that painful experince would make her realise that going mad for just those one or two minutes would help stop her.... But, she had another mad minute today, and I managed to get hold of her just in time, though she did crash into the freezer as I got hold of her, and I think it shook her up a little, again :-(

I can usually get an idea of when these mad minutes are going to happen, but she is so fast and totally oblivous to everything around her and the dangers, that some times she's too quick for me to get hold of her.

I don't beleive it's anything to do with too little excersise, either way she has them before or after a walk/run.

I've tried distracting her immediately she starts, but it's as if she's gone totally deaf, I've tried shaking her treats at her for attention but it's as if she's gone totally blind.

I really don't know what else to try, distraction just doesn't seem to be working at all - she's totally out of it!

Any idea's from everyone on what to do before she has a 'really' terrible accident would be greatly appreciated.

(The only other I can think of is, as soon as I suspect a crazy moment, is to put her lead on, and then I have total control of her, but of course sometimes her crazy moments can be very unpredictable).

p.s I have also posted this in the behavioural section, need as much advice as possible.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I'm not so sure this can be stopped. This is affectionately known as "The Zoomies" around here.

Gilmour is 10 months old and he still gets them, and they are quite incredible indeed.

Couch -> Hallway -> Bedroom Bed -> Kitchen -> Couch.

Repeat 6 or 7 times.

And he is hunkered down and hauling ass too. He usually uses the Coffee Table as a launching pad to the couch.

And I've learned to put a pillow over "That Area" when he gets like this, because he is not very careful about where he lands! He's curled me up a couple of times now when he caught me by surprise.

He usually gets them the worst when he has to go a week without visiting his harem at the breeders. He really enjoys his Saturday visits there. He spends about 5 hours and he is completely worn out when he comes home. It makes for a nice Sunday :)

Several times he's launched himself up on the Coffee Table and slid right off the other end and crashed into the wall.

Other than wearing them out with Exercise, I don't know what you can do about this.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Daisy is having a case of the zoomies, Honey is 2 and still gets them usually about 4pm it is quite natural and just as the song goes "I FEEL GOOD NOW" I just stand laughing when she gets them (just stand out of the way) but she has never hurt herself so I dont know what to advise, hope someone can advise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My house is now covered in non slip throw rugs I bought at Walmart It does not look great, but safer instead of him slipping and sliding into things...
Mine gets the zoomies , and it is worse, if I cannot walk him, due to rain, or absurd heat or whatever.
My house is all wood flooring which is a pain for dogs.

I also take advantage of his wild hours by doing obedience work, where I want a fast finish or front... or a fast db pick up and work that..
If he gets too nuts, I end up crating him one hour and than he is fine..

It is so strange tho, if I do crate him during that 7-8:30 range when I pull him out, he is not nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I live where the weather is pretty nice year 'round, and my backyard is fenced, so when my pup got the zoomies, I would open the sliding glass door and tell her "take it outside" and she would take her indoor zoomies outside. Can you do something similar? Do you have the space outside?

Also, when I do my regular "poop patrol" out in the backyard, my golden, now 18 months, will run zoomies around me so that gets her energy bursts satisfied. I egg her on and encourage her.

She did hurt herself once when she had an evening attack of zoomies and I didn't open the door to our backyard--she went from the bedroom to the living room to the den several times and then crashed into the dining room set and went end over end into the couch in the den. I thought I was watching a Road Runner cartoon. She didn't yelp, but she did have a hitch in her gait for about a week.

Don't try to tame the zoomies--I would try to direct them to a larger area, if you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts