Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My son鈥檚 almost three year old golden was shedding something terrible. So after a bath I used a cat furminator I had. After a few weeks we noticed his hair was just about gone. It looks terrible now. Will it grow back? Is there anything I can do? He looks like he has alopecia. I am heart broken! Please help!!!

Premium Member
It will grow back, but may take months to fill back in. Furminators cut the top coat as well as pull out the under coat. It is just too easy to misuse a Furminator, I wouldn't ever use it on a Golden Retriever. And I actually left a bald swatch on my cat too!

Puddles
The doggie furminator will give you the same results. They make a RAKE that doesn't cut the top coat and only cost like $6. that will not damage the top coat. Don't feel too bad, there was someone that posted their groomer had been using this on their golden for de-shedding and couldn't understand why his golden looked like a lab :)
If you use a doggie blow dryer after baths it helps to relieve the shedding. This and daily brushing, but goldens shed... it's part of their charm.

Registered
I use a the "Furminator De-Shedding Tool for Large Dogs" frequently. It works well and does not cut the topcoat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It will grow back, but may take months to fill back in. Furminators cut the top coat as well as pull out the under coat. It is just too easy to misuse a Furminator, I wouldn't ever use it on a Golden Retriever. And I actually left a bald swatch on my cat too!
Thanks for the reply. I will defiantly never do that again!
The doggie furminator will give you the same results. They make a RAKE that doesn't cut the top coat and only cost like $6. that will not damage the top coat. Don't feel too bad, there was someone that posted their groomer had been using this on their golden for de-shedding and couldn't understand why his golden looked like a lab :)
If you use a doggie blow dryer after baths it helps to relieve the shedding. This and daily brushing, but goldens shed... it's part of their charm.
Thank you for your comments!
I just hope it grows back. I just want to cry...

Registered
Don鈥檛 be too hard on yourself! You haven鈥檛 damaged the pup for life or done anything to cause him harm. My husband is a police lieutenant. He has one of those shavers with attachments for various lengths. Normally he puts on the length thing to the razor and then hands it to me and I cut his hair. That particular day he didn鈥檛 do that and I shaved a 4鈥漛ald spot on the back of his head. I didn鈥檛 think I鈥檇 ever get over feeling bad about that, but it grew out in a few months and we laugh about it now. His friends at work did think his new haircit was quite amusing! What I鈥檓 trying to say is I understand how bad you feel bit it鈥檚 just a cosmetic thing andyou now know not to use the furminator. I also had gotten one of those and was using it until I learned not to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts