Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The litter that I am supposed to get a puppy from was born via planned c-section yesterday. Unfortunately, afterwards the dam passed away from a bad reaction to medication. We were told all 10 of the puppies are healthy. After doing all the research and trying to be prepared this was unexpected, obviously. The breeder I'm sure is in the most grief right now and I dont want to bother them with questions right now.

I know it may be a little early to predict based on such little info, but I was hoping GRF could educate me on puppies raised without their mother? Pros/Cons, Risks, Behavior, Special care after they come home, etc?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I hope the breeder can find a bitch to raise puppies. There are all kinds of FB groups, etc for just this scenario and she might also contact the nearest GR club and see if they will put out to membership.

That would be best case.
Worst case- puppies would get aspiration pneumonia and die.
Worrying about later problems is smart but right now, worrying about them surviving is the real worry.
Without a bitch to nurse them, the breeder will need to provide safe suction activity or they will suck on each other's ears and genitals and that is problematic too. Puppies are meant to nurse pretty much around the clock, nurse and sleep is all they do . Breeder without bitch might use a bottle but that's problematic from an aspiration place. And tubing is a talent- if she does not know how or is not able to fully fill them without overfilling, aspiration is a problem then too. PLUS the very serious timing piece- they need to be fed around the clock every 2 hours and be kept warm. You can do the math, it takes to stimulate potty and tube a puppy about 4-6 minutes. There are 10 puppies. That's approx 3/4 an hour not counting making formula (which is generally constipating) and swapping them out and that's every 2 hours so human sleep and keeping area clean etc gets an hour every other hour at most. It is a very hard job. Finding a lactating bitch is the best case scenario, and renting her or paying the owner to raise the orphans is the best end result.
Assuming she is able to raise them without pneumonia, constipation is a problem, lack of colostrum is a problem and I hope they were able to pull serum off the bitch before she died and at least gave that to the puppies. It is an enormous job to raise orphans and so heartbreaking to lose one's precious girl in that way. I'd also offer this breeder much support emotionally because she is probably beating herself up over ever doing the breeding. And it's all too common to lose a girl in a section or shortly after. If you can lmk by PM where she's at I can do some legwork for you this morning and hopefully help her find a bitch.

Reactions: Ffcmm

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Offer that support without expecting anything in return. She will be sleep deprived, probably heartbroken repeatedly over the next 2 weeks and that big grief piece will be there too over her bitch coloring everything. Send flowers, offer meals, absolutely every supportive thing you can think of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Offer that support without expecting anything in return. She will be sleep deprived, probably heartbroken repeatedly over the next 2 weeks and that big grief piece will be there too over her bitch coloring everything. Send flowers, offer meals, absolutely every supportive thing you can think of.
Thanks for your advice Prism! I reached out to the breeder with a message of sympathy and support.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The only Golden I have ever had with serious behavioral problem, came from a litter that early on was infected with herpes. It killed most of the pups, two survived but were separated from the mother at 2 weeks. Over the five years we had one of these dogs, he became a crazy out of control aggressive and dangerous dog.

I cannot tie the separation as the cause of this, but it sure is a possibility. If I had it to do over, I would have walked on that litter. I suggest, you do the same...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The litter that I am supposed to get a puppy from was born via planned c-section yesterday. Unfortunately, afterwards the dam passed away from a bad reaction to medication. We were told all 10 of the puppies are healthy. After doing all the research and trying to be prepared this was unexpected, obviously. The breeder I'm sure is in the most grief right now and I dont want to bother them with questions right now.

I know it may be a little early to predict based on such little info, but I was hoping GRF could educate me on puppies raised without their mother? Pros/Cons, Risks, Behavior, Special care after they come home, etc?
I had this exact situation. Fortunately, our breeder knew a lot of other breeders in our area, we are in Georgia. She took the 10 puppies to her friend who recently had two females with liters. She stayed there with them for a few weeks and then brought them back to her home. We got one puppy and my son got another from this liter and we have had them just over a year. Absolutely no issues, very loving Dogs that are awesome and healthy.
We were lucky as our breeder had all the clearances for her Dogs. I learned while trying to find a breeder that had legit clearances, these folks stick together and are willing to help each other that try to protect the breed.

I did keep his crate right next to me and would put my finger in the cage if he cried. He is a very confident Golden. Great at swimming, fishing and chasing birds. Loves to be around people and kids, basically, a normal Golden. We also had another Dog that was very receptive. I'm not qualified to give any advice but thought i would share our experience.

Best of luck and sorry for your loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts