Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is an officer in the US Navy and will be going on deployment at some point in the coming year. Brinkley has dealt with her dad being gone for a few days, even a couple of weeks, but obviously 5-8 months is a huge difference.
There are lots of methods to help kids adjust and cope, but I've never read anything about dogs.
Any ideas on what to expect or do you think she will just roll with the punches?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
We are going through this right now. My husband is overseas for a year. We have been able to skype with him. Harry runs to the computer when he hears my husband's voice. He will even pile up toys in front of it expecting my husband come out of the screen to play with him. The other thing I've done is to try to keep Harry's routine as normal as possible. I have also increased his training quite a bit. So far, so good ... other than the normal teenage dog behavior, Harry has adjusted very well. We'll see how he handles it this fall when the boys head to college and med school and Harry is stuck with just me!

On a side note, are you stationed on the Coast or in Meridian? When I was in college, my father, a Navy vet, was stationed at Stennis outside of Bay St. Louis. Even though it has been a very long time, I still remember the sunrises and sunsets over the Gulf. My husband is from Oxford (Holly Springs originally) and we try to get back to visit my in-laws as often as we can.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm sure Brinkley will miss dad when he's gone, but as long as he has you and the kids he'll be fine.

I wish your husband a quick and safe return. I have a few buddies serving our country and I would like to sincerely thank your husband for his service.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hang in there. I'm an AF wife. I've dealt with a lot of deployments over the years. We are here.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I'm a (retired) AF wife as well, for sure, long deployments are hard on the family (dog included). Even though my DH is not active duty now, he travels with his job and is usually gone 4 days, home 3 days/week. Hank knows when DH is leaving and gets a little depressed but we carry-on and he's fine. Just keep up your normal routine, give Brinkley some extra one-on-one time and she'll do fine. Just like kids they look at our reactions to situtations.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Wonderful thing about our breed of choice is that they seem to love unconditionally. My daughter (Navy nurse for 12 yrs) and SIL (Marine Pilot - in Wash. DC now) have seen many deployments over the years. Charlie grieves for a time but routines are kept solid. When Daddy comes home Charlie takes little time to get to "know" him again, but is all over him because he knows he is loved and in turn loves all. That dog has seen and been all over the world and still loves to distraction and goes with the flow in every case. Think this is one of the many reasons we love these Goldens so much. Don't worry, just keep up the normal routine and see if when DH comes back, Brinkley will love him like he was never gone.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
He will do just fine...Rumor was 6 months old when my youngest son left to go into the Army...then several months later, my oldest left to enter the Airforce....both kids were gone an average of 8 months...She definitely remembered them and ADORED them when they come home... no worries...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts