Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new here and looking for some advice from Golden People.
On Saturday we made our third visit to the vet in the last month to try to help our wonderful Chaucer. He has been limping (progressively worse, even on 100 mg Rymadyl 2 x per day) and not eating like he normally does - and we are very worried about his health. I showed our Vet two cyst or tumor areas on Chaucer (almost 8 yrs old now). The locations are 1) on his left front leg near his elbow 2) one smaller one on his chest 3) possibly a very small third mass just found on his shoulder today. We have scheduled x-rays and removal of the 3/4 inch mass on his leg in hopes that this will help his limping. Should all masses be removed at once? Has anyone else gone thru this who could tell me what they experienced and did. Looking forward to any helpful feedback you can offer.
Thanks very much!:crossfing

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Welcome. I'm sorry that you found the forum under such circumstances. When are the xrays scheduled??? Hopefully, as soon as possible. How long have you been aware of the growths? Do you feel confident in your vet?? If so, I would make a list of questions to go over with him..... about all the possibilities they could be, what the xrays will show, could/should they all be removed at once, if they are cysts... are they likely to return, prognosis, etc etc. If you don't have faith or confidence in your vet, get a second opinion, or investigate whether there is a vet school close by. If I were you, I'd want to get it handled as soon as possible to give him the best and quickest chance of recovery. Please keep us posted. We care.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome,
I am sorry that you are going thru this with your Chauncer. My Beau 8 years ago had a large fatty tumor in his shoulder and it grew so large that it was really bothering him and caused him to limp. While at the vet getting examined he found several smaller ones had had grown that could cause problems down the road in their location. After xrays showing nothing else was going on, we chose to go ahead and romve all 4 at one time to save him having to go under down the road. If they are the normal fatty tumors or cysts getting them surgically removed will help them from coming back as long as they are still intact and completely removed they shouldnt come back. His has not.
Hopefully your Chauncer will have the same results but like Betty said above, ask alot of questions and if you dont feel comfortable get a second opinon. Good luck and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My dog had some removed last year and I made sure they removed all of the bumps I could find. That said, he ended up having a big uneven/threatening one on one side and a smaller one on the other side that was pretty obviously benign, and I kind of wish I'd had them only remove the big one because having an incision on each side made it hard for the poor guy to lay down (he had to lay on an incision to sleep). So if possible remove all the masses at once, but also keep in mind if it's going to make the dog seriously uncomfortable to have incisions in all those places.

If there's anything that feels stuck on the bone underneath, you should definitely have it looked at. All of Dusty's I could sort of lift up and tell that they were just in the skin. But I had them removed anyways because one of them had grown and become a different shape (he had a lump there for several years before it started acting funny).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses for Chaucer

All,

We have scheduled a very through exam, x-rays, and removal of lump(s) for tomorrow. After the exam the vet will determine next steps and then discuss with me our options. I have reasonable confidence in the vet we are seeing.

The cysts have only recently been discovered by us so we feel that they are relatively new (but we are not totally sure). Chaucer has had more and more limping from his front left leg over the last few weeks which has triggered all of these events. Like I said, two weeks taking Rymadil has not helped him with the limping and we have noticed these cysts/ lumps. They may be related; we just don't know. Whatever is removed will be examined and tested to see if the mass is benign or not. I guess we will know more soon.
But I will be asking the vet a lot of questions as we move forward, after all Chaucer needs a good advocate. I will post more later this week when we have news. Again thanks for the notes, advice and words of kindness.
:crossfing

·
3 goldens
11,953 Posts
Sorry to hear your swet heart has those lups. Many, many years ago my Irish Setter got a lump on his hip, we had it removed andit was just a fatty cyst. A year ago Aug. our golde mix, Honey, developed a lump on her chet where her ribs join. It wa mor or less flat and abut the size or a quarter. In fact, he actually looked and felt like a quarteunder the skin. It wa removed, fatty tumor. Six weeks ago she had a bump removed from her left rear leg--it came ack mast cell tumor without clean edges, so another surgery was required.

I hope your vet will removed them all at once as it can prevent having to put yourboy under at a later date t remove the ohters. I always try to get as much done as possible when one mine has been under--denal, tumor remova, etc.

Here is hoping it is just fatty lumps on you boy.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Has your vet aspirated any of the lumps to get at least a preliminary diagnosis? My vet always aspirates any questionable growth, unless it's pretty sure to be a lipoma. I would think knowing what they are from the aspirate would shed some light on what the treatment plan should be. JMO.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Hugs and prayers coming your way. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry to hear about Chaucer. You could ask your vet to do FNA's or Needle Biopsies on the other lesions. This would be less invasive for Chaucer and still give you a diagnosis.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
All positive thoughts for Chaucer that the biopsy is negative and his limp is easily treatable. Good luck tomorrow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts