Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Colt has some sort of growth above his eye. The vet looked at it and said it should clear up on it’s own, but I forget what he called it (something about a non-cancerous mass of cells that would eventually rupture(?) and heal over? Frequently seen on dogs) and would like to do some more research on what it is/how to help it progress. I’ve e-mailed the vets but they won’t be open today or tomorrow so I figured I’d drop by and see what you guys think it is.

I originally thought it was an injury from the field, a scar from a stick poke, etc. it has since grown though, and appears to be scabbing over(?). Not sure. He doesn’t like me touching the area but it doesn’t seem to bother him otherwise.

Wood Snout Whiskers Terrestrial animal Fur

Liver Fawn Whiskers Eyelash Working animal

·
Noreaster
2,247 Posts
It looks like a possible puncture injury that was infected or a sebaceous cyst and it may have already ruptured and is starting to heal. It looks pretty small and it’s not red or oozing, so that’s all good.

I’m of the “get it aspirated and looked at under a microscope” school of lumps when it comes to my Golden and your vet should be able to just do that during an office visit. Given the holiday you might want to see how it resolves between now and next week?

Reactions: xRoan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I was just looking for input as to how it should be healing haha. Even if I wanted to, I doubt I’d be able to get a vet appointment within a week. Our vet chose not to aspirate, and to just see how things worked out as well. It looked different than yesterday so I wanted to make sure that it was still looking good!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick little update! This is what it looks like today. Not sure if this is considered better or worse but it’s the first time it’s been “open”. My goal now is to simply keep the area clean while it heals back up.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
My dog had similar irritation in a spot next to the scab from a benign tumor removal. The collar was irritating it so I had to remove the collar until it healed, It looked infected but the vet gave me antiseptic gel in a small container and said to apply it a few times a day. It cleared up quickly. If the vet thinks it will dry up and go away on it’s own, it’s probably fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts