Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to throw out suggestions for some cute female puppy names? We've got a few in mind, and my daughter has final say, but nothing sounds quite right.

Here are our general preferences:

1. Has to be short and simple
2. Can't sound too pretentious (that's my husband's comment)
3. Should be a little fun and not sound like we're adding another human child

So, for example, my daughter likes Sasha, Mia, and Maya and while we like all of these names, they're also names we hear on the playground all the time. We're hoping to go a bit funkier or more unusual.

Any ideas? :p:

PS-We've got loads of time. We'll be bringing home a female puppy from Delmarva's recently whelped (and adorable!) "Holiday" litter.

TIA!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Names

This isn't short, but I've always loved the name Munchkin (from Wizard of Oz), or Chloe, or Hope.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
let's see...

Buttercup (perhaps too cute for your DH :D but I like it...)
Dora (Spanish for golden...)
Daisy
Natasha
Penuche (pronounced puh-noo-chee, it's a brownish gold fudge my mom used to make)
Sugar pie Honey bunch (oops getting carried away...but Honey might work..)

:D

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
What about the name Cozy?

Hope, Angel, Joy, Holly Star, Eve, Candy, Peace- Holiday names

Lacy, Athena, Venus, Eleckra, Mika, Lulu, Gilda, Glinda, Marigold

·
Kate
21,657 Posts
Penuche (pronounced puh-noo-chee, it's a brownish gold fudge my mom used to make)
Hemmm... I know of a golden who was named that. They called her Nuche (Noo-cheee).

I'm horrible about non-human names. Our cats are named non-human names. Our dogs are named people names. Guess that tells you how we see them. :eek:

Ohk... I guess I was semi thinking yesterday that I'd love to name the next dog Happy. :)

Names I love for girls....

Chloe
Glory
Saffie
Queenie
Mimi
Ava
Siri

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
If it is the "Holiday" litter - are you thinking something to do with the holidays?

Jingle, Tinsel, Bubbly or Bubbles, Cupid

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
How bout: Sequin, Sparkle, or Glitter. You could work that into an AKC name too, like Delmarva's All that Glitters IS Gold, call name Glitter or Sparkle would work too.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Banyan
Tulip
Raleigh
Summer
Willow
Cypress
Winter
Summit
Sedona
Sushi
Chablis
Tango

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am useless in thinking of names. But this thread reminded me that my younghest daughter (3 years old at the time) insisted we would call our golden puppy Glitter Star.
We named him Bosco but she called him Glitter Star for the first few months.
The rest of the family has about 10 nicknames for him from Billy Billy Bang Bang to Schmutz for when he is all muddy which is more or less every day :) He listens to all of them!

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
I have a few...

Luna
Rainy
Raisin
Tallie
Nike
Astrid
Brie
Jade
Jazz
JuneBug
Violet
Honey
Dolce
Dixie
Chili
Salem

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of these great suggestions! So far I really like Saffie, Nika, Lulu, Willow, and Juno. My daughter mentioned Lulu a while back and we forget about that one.

Names are so much fun to muse over but choosing one is hard for some reason. I went through the same thing with each of my human babies!

Oh, my husband just told me over lunch that he likes the name Ruby. It was his grandmother's name. I think that's sweet and just imagine the cool bling we could get her to go with her call name. :)

As far as an AKC name, I figured we'd base that on whatever call name we choose.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts