Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow has a growth in between her hind toe. The vet tried to syringe some liquid but couldn't get any but did manage to get a few cells. It has been recommended that Shadow have the growth removed through surgery. Shadow is 12 years old and reasonably healthy for her age. The surgery is expensive as well. I'm leery about her being put under anesthetic for something that may or may not be necessary. Has anyone come across a situation like this? Shadow doesn't SEEM to be in pain (she's not limping). She has arthritis and has the usual difficulties with getting up and down. I have her on vitamins and she takes meloxicam in the cold weather. I want to do whats best for her even if its costly but not if it's not really necessary. I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Is there anyway they can do a local on it so she doesnt have to go full under? My Beau (since passed away) had a sore on his neck and since he had heart problems we discussed using a local and like a twilight. Unfortunately his health started failing so we couldnt do the surgery and lost him. There are different kinds of anesthesia that are available now. I hope that it is not anything more serious.

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
This is a tough call for you.... I can understand your concerns. I too would be concerned about her age but as well I would be concerned about the growth and what happens if I leave it there. I would definately ask about a local anesthesia.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Are there cancer cells in Shadow's mass?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts