Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eldest, Ben (will be 15 in 4 months) cut one of his front toe pads a couple of months ago (it's a small gash, about 5mm long). Ever since then it's been a real battle to get it to heal, involving a few vet visits, the wearing of socks, a special boot when he goes outside, etc, etc, etc.

It's healing but very slowly and he has the odd set-back (usually self inflicted when he chews it!).

My main problem is keeping it dry - I CAN'T leave the socks off him at any time because he'll just chew and lick it. When outside he walks through long, wet grass so the water gets into the boot that he wears. Every time he comes in I thoroughly dry the foot and put on dry socks, but it's impossible to get out all of the moisture.

So what's the best way to keep the paw dry when he's inside? I'd like to air it but then he'll lick/chew it so it needs to be covered.

Perhaps put talcum powder on the paw every time I change his socks?

Or is there another way?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that he's licking it, it just wears off quickly when he walks on it.

My other aim of course is to keep the whole paw dry - he goes out with socks and a boot on, that gets wet, he comes inside, I need to change those socks, dry his pad and put another sock on to stop him licking the pad, therefore his pad is never 100% dry.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The problem for Ben with the IV bag/plastic bag on the outside is that he has arthritis and can be a bit unsteady on his legs - a plastic bag tends to slip around a bit. However, I will try putting a bag on his foot and then put the boot over that. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks again for the advice, and of course the congrats on Ben appraoching 15 (that'll be March 2010 when he has his 15th birthday). :D

He's lasted a lot longer than one of my other Goldies who very sadly died unexpectedly at age 9.

And just to keep Ben company, we also have a two and a half year old Goldie and a one and a half year old, all males. Lovely dogs. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.