Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eldest, Ben (will be 15 in 4 months) cut one of his front toe pads a couple of months ago (it's a small gash, about 5mm long). Ever since then it's been a real battle to get it to heal, involving a few vet visits, the wearing of socks, a special boot when he goes outside, etc, etc, etc.

It's healing but very slowly and he has the odd set-back (usually self inflicted when he chews it!).

My main problem is keeping it dry - I CAN'T leave the socks off him at any time because he'll just chew and lick it. When outside he walks through long, wet grass so the water gets into the boot that he wears. Every time he comes in I thoroughly dry the foot and put on dry socks, but it's impossible to get out all of the moisture.

So what's the best way to keep the paw dry when he's inside? I'd like to air it but then he'll lick/chew it so it needs to be covered.

Perhaps put talcum powder on the paw every time I change his socks?

Or is there another way?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
How about an Elizabethen Collar (cone)? It would keep him from licking it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This has worked on Buzz but not on Clover. Try putting just a few dabs of Vicks Vapor Rub around, not on, the cut. Buzz hates the taste and will leave the area alone. Clover on the other hand could care less, makes a face and just keeps on licking. You may have to re-apply a few times a day to keep the horrible taste there.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
This has worked on Buzz but not on Clover. Try putting just a few dabs of Vicks Vapor Rub around, not on, the cut. Buzz hates the taste and will leave the area alone. Clover on the other hand could care less, makes a face and just keeps on licking. You may have to re-apply a few times a day to keep the horrible taste there.
Good idea, we use bitter apple on Molson's paws when he starts snacking on them. It wears off within a few hours so you have to reapply, and our vet told us it is safe around the irritated area.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have tried the liquid plaster (spray on type) but it wasn't licked off, it just wore off very quickly.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You can use the liquid bandaid and keep him from licking it until it dries.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not that he's licking it, it just wears off quickly when he walks on it.

My other aim of course is to keep the whole paw dry - he goes out with socks and a boot on, that gets wet, he comes inside, I need to change those socks, dry his pad and put another sock on to stop him licking the pad, therefore his pad is never 100% dry.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had good results using a "snow boot" on Roxy when she cut her pad.

Jim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do they look like?

Do they stop water completely, even from going in over the top when walking in long grass?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'll suggest a twist on an idea i read here for when you've nicked the 'quick' when trimming nails...put cornstarch in the sock and then pull it on the paw.
In Ben's case, I'd try some Gold Bond powder:)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
How about normal flour? I've used that on cut claws before.
Well, that might create a great environment to feed bacteria and yeast maybe? Possibly not, but the gold Bond I've found to be great stuff on hotspots, rashes, etc, and mine don't like the way it tastes, lol

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
My two cents.
Use the liquid bandage. Then cover with sock. When it is time to go out put a plastic bag over the sock then the boot over ther plastic bag.
It should keep it dry as the bag should remain intact and not leak due to the boot over it.

Good Luck and how great it is to read about a "young pupper" like your Ben! :wavey:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
When it is time to go out put a plastic bag over the sock then the boot over ther plastic bag.
Oh, Hank....you sent me back to my childhood with that!
My mother did that to ME on rainy days:uhoh:

·
Registered
850 Posts
The boots I have are water resistant nylon with a pad on the bottom and velcro fastener. However, I saw a new water proof rubber boot called Pawz in the KVpet catalog that might work better.

Jim
rescue goldens Roxy and Elliot

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
When Minnie cut her pad and had stitches we used the snow boot with the pad that had velcro on it all the time and taped the plastic bag on when she went outside. When we went back to work and had to crate her my dh wrapped the velcro with electrical tape and she could not get the boot off to lick it while we were away.

Hope it heals quickly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts