Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Nan
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My Honey has turned curly. Her coat was so beautiful until about 3 months ago. Now she has turned curly! She's 2 years old now so maybe this just happens to some goldens as they get older??? I don't mean poodle-type curls, but definite curls. She's been on thyroid pills for about 8 months. Could this be the cause? I've seen both parents and they aren't like this. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
My first golden had some curls on her back and Jack and Nash have curls, too. I like a little bit of curl to their coat. I know that thyroid meds will affect their fur (make it healthier) but not sure if that is why her fur has turned curly or not.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'm curious if anybody who has a dog on thyroid supplements has seem a similar coat change. Wavy coats are acceptable and common in Goldens, so it may just be that she finally developed her adult coat, but truly curly isn't normal. Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Yes, I would be interested in seeing a picture of her coat. Coat changes can be from thyroid but I dont know if it becomes more curly.

·
where the tails wag
13,345 Posts
I've had 3 dogs on thyroid supplementation and their coats did not really change much other than to become fuller. 2 of them only had to be supplemented after turning 7, but Rowdy needed supplements after about 3; as a much welcome side affect his coat did grow back and I was able to get his allergies under control. His coat did change (harsher and a darker color) but he probably needed supplementation before it was started.

I agree with Brian that the adult coat may have finished coming in - it may have been delayed with the thyroid issues. And wavy coats can be very beautiful :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I've been a "parent" to two curly goldens, both curly before going on thyroid medications. After starting thyroid meds both were still curly, just thicker.
I understand the curly coat is a recessive gene in Goldens so while it is not common, it does happen.
Personally I like Goldens with a little curl and/or wave to them! I'd love to see some photos.
From our own experience, curls on a Golden Retriever brings on all sorts of attention and questions from people. We meet a lot of neighbors on our walks thanks to those curls!

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Max is curly. And when he's wet, oh, my word, is he curly!
I love it, even though I've had people tell me there must be poodle in him. Umm, no.

·
Nan
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love your answers! I'm not at home right now (at my mom's in Ottawa) so will post a pic when I get home. Thanks for the replies. Yes I like the curly look too. I'll be back in about a week.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
This is what I call curly. We should do a curliest Golden contest! Oh, and yes, we had him DNA tested twice and both times came back as Golden Retriever only,

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Cruiser just has the big wave or zig zag down his spine.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I think the curls are beautiful!! But I dont know why they came all of the sudden...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts