Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my jackson pup at 6mo of age shaved to the skin by his previous owners. Now that his coat is in its very coarse and wirery, and very curly. Is that normal golden coat?

Im not able to upload pics here but I have made an album to view. Thanks for any input anyone may have!

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Possibly you don't have a full golden. They can have a wavy coat but do not have a very curly coat. This could be the reason they shaved him so you wouldn't know he wasn't a full golden. Where did you adopt him from?

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
It could be his coat is really messed up from being shaved. See if the curls loosen up as it grows in completely. He might still be a curly boy, but not that extremely so. Otherwise, I somewhat agree that he might not be purebred.

He's adorable though<:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
There are some very curly coated goldens around here...I'm betting the dog was shaved because the previous owner didn't or couldn't keep the coat mat-free.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Jackson is very cute!

Here is my Barkley, which we adopted from a rescue group. We were unsure of his heritage, did 2 different DNA tests--yep, only Golden...

The curls aren't common, and you won't be able to show, but they are very special. Jackson is going to get more attention from strangers than a straight or wavy golden. Enjoy him!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I just looked at your album and he is quite curly. There is another member whose Golden has a curly coat too. (name escapes me right now) He sure looks all Golden to me...just curly.

By The Way, Welcome:wavey:
That would be me!! I miss my curly boys. My Beau was special with the curls as well.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Begall

begall

Your boy is just gorgeous!! Enjoy loving him!!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Wow I have not seen FULL curles before on a golden. How cute and looks like my hair did after a perm I got years ago where I looked a bit like Orphane Annie for a while, but it relaxed as it grew.

I think it is cute, but hope it doesn't mat like other curley coats. Know when you shave a coat down it can come back more hard to the touch and skin a lot drier, but hair should gentle as it gets more grown. I would watch his skin for excessive dryness over the winter and wonder if Pure fish oil would help? But curles are curles and think are precious.

Love the pictures of our curley goldens, again never seen them before and thank all for posting.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Barkley's coat is exactly like the curly coats Ive seen up this way...not common for sure...but they do exist.

Jackson is very cute!

Here is my Barkley, which we adopted from a rescue group. We were unsure of his heritage, did 2 different DNA tests--yep, only Golden...

The curls aren't common, and you won't be able to show, but they are very special. Jackson is going to get more attention from strangers than a straight or wavy golden. Enjoy him!!

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Barkley's coat is exactly like the curly coats Ive seen up this way...not common for sure...but they do exist.
Are these dogs specifically bred to have curlier coats like that? Like breeding a wavy coat to a wavy coat to get a curly coat, and curly coat to a curly coat to get curlier, etc? Or is this just what happens after wavy coated goldens are bred and bred and bred to other wavy guys?

I've never seen a golden that curly before. :eek: Our Charmy had a curly coat, but it was more like a rumpled bedhead look with curls around his shoulders and wavy waves in his mane and trousers. When Dallas Gold mentioned her curly guy, I always had a mental image of Charmy in my head. I didn't realize they could get THAT curly.

He was pretty and cute anyway. :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
no I don't think they are purposefully bred for a curly coat. I have seen some curly ones befoe in GRNews

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
no definitely not bred for curly coats -

1 - 20 of 59 Posts