Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a golden pup with similar coloring? His dad was American Golden and mom was English Creme. One very white, one very gold. His ears look like they've been glued on compared to his white body! It's so funny. Almost 4 months old and losing the fluff and already 30lbs :oops:

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,780 Posts
He's a cute boy.

His adult overall color should be similar to the current color of his ears, most likely he'll be a light/medium gold color.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Oh my gosh! I can't believe he darkened up that much. I can't see our puppy doing that with all the white fluff. So beautiful!
They lose their puppy coat completely. Duster's undercoat was virtually white when he was a pup. When his adult coat came in (around 6 to 8 months), it was the same colour as his ears. His mom is very dark gold and his dad is medium gold.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,780 Posts
They lose their puppy coat completely. Duster's undercoat was virtually white when he was a pup. When his adult coat came in (around 6 to 8 months), it was the same colour as his ears. His mom is very dark gold and his dad is medium gold.

I LOVE Duster!

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
My boy is similar in color to yours. He was very very pale as a puppy, and has slowly darkened a little bit. He is only 17 months so I think he will continue to get darker, and eventually be the color of his ears. You can see right now around his eyes it looks like a mask almost...this is because his face is starting to darken too. Your pup is adorable!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This is my last Golden Luke at four months and then at seven years old (Luke's face started turning white when he was only two.) He's a little similar to yours. My current Golden, Logan, is a puppy. I think he may end up being the color of his ears. Maybe a little darker than his current ear color.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My boy is similar in color to yours. He was very very pale as a puppy, and has slowly darkened a little bit. He is only 17 months so I think he will continue to get darker, and eventually be the color of his ears. You can see right now around his eyes it looks like a mask almost...this is because his face is starting to darken too. Your pup is adorable!

View attachment 869871 View attachment 869872
Omg he is so cute!! You're right, very similar. Thanks for sharing. He is so handsome!!

·
Kate
20,697 Posts
First I don't think your dog will get any darker than his ears.

If it gives you an idea how a light pup darkens up over time -

This was my past boy. American showlines behind him top and bottom.

He looked like a white rat when he was a very baby puppy at 1 week old the first time I saw him. :) But I pretty much knew he was going to be medium gold based on his mom and dad + based on his ears and a bit of nose.

I would not worry too much about coloring. The dogs darken up a number of times as they grow up and grow old. A 2 year old will be darker than a 5 month old. A 3-4 year old will be darker than a 2 year old. A 7-9 year old will be darker than a 3-4 year old, etc...

·
Registered
622 Posts
My girl is an English type Golden crossed with an American Golden and she turned out surprisingly light. Definitely took after her dad. There was a pretty wide color variation in her litter with some puppies looking golden and others quite light. I saw an American Golden cross with one parent that was half English and she had the most gorgeous light gold overcoat and a very light cream undercoat. I think your pup will probably have a beautiful light gold coloring with a richer gold on the ears, tail and possibly ridge line.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I don't have any young puppy photos as we got this guy at 19 months of age. His dad is a white golden and his mom a mid gold color. Here is Teddy at 2. His fur color is beautiful, light and creamy.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts