Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weighed Flip last week on the day he turned six months, and he was 35 pounds. I know he's small for his age, so I looked up old posts about the weight of other six month old goldens and was surprised that not a single person posted about a dog that was Flip's weight at his age.So I'm just curious if anyone out there did have a pup that only weighed around 35 pounds at six months, and if so what was their final adult weight?What's kind of funny to me is that the breeder told me up front that this litter would produce small dogs. (That's fine with me, I'd rather smaller than bigger). When I went to get him he was already a pretty big pup. The first few months that I had him everyone kept telling me how big he was for his age and that he was going to be a really big golden. Then he just kind of stopped growing and now I hear all the "he's so small" comments. (I was actually asked about 5 times this weekend if he was a Toller). So the lesson I learned was, if you have a good breeder, trust the breeder! Everything she told me about how this litter would turn out, even the parts that I doubted at first, have turned out to be true.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maevis weighed in at 36 pounds at 6 months old. At 7.5 months, she is somewhere around 45. We expect her to top out around 60.

·
Sandy's mom too!
89 Posts
Karly is six and half months and she is at 39.5 lbs. She was very sick with parasites and worms when we brought her home (weighed 3 lbs at 8 weeks) and the vet told us she would only be around 50lbs. The vet now says she thinks she may end up a little bigger than that because of how much she has grown since we were able to get her healthy. Her sister is in her puppy class and she weighs about the same.:)

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey was 37 pounds at 6 months. Since then she has had two growth spurts. I'm assuming she is around 45-50 pounds right now at 7 1/2 months.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does Flip have Sunfire's Undeniable (Apollo) in his pedigree?
No he doesn't but I'm very familiar with him since I only live a couple of hours away from his owner.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No he doesn't but I'm very familiar with him since I only live a couple of hours away from his owner.
I asked because, I believe, he wasn't a very large male. Do you know how big he was? He is Bauer's grandsire on his mom's side.

Bauer won't be very big either. He was 11.5 lbs when we brought him home. Last week at 11 1/2 weeks he was 16 lbs. I don't think he will be any bigger than 35 lbs at 6 months.

I'm with you. I like the smaller, thinner, athletic build-type in goldens. But I do hope Bauer hits that 57-58 lb mark. With his build, he should be a very strong, athletic dog at that weight.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Most of mine have been about that weight at six months, including my large boned German Shepherd whom we expect to hit 85 at adulthood. He's 45-50 pounds now, though, at a little over six and a half months. He shot up recently!

My Golden/Great Dane boy is 70 plus at seven and a half months. Bigger than my adult male Golden. They all vary. Check out Flying Quizini's Quiz. I think he's about 45 pounds as an adult, and he rocks in performance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
our boy was about 36 lbs at 6mo, 41 lbs at 7.5 months. He's 8 months tomorrow and wont be officially weighed again util mid Jan when we need more heartworm meds, he'll be a little guy which is more than fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts