Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
There are many things,yes, that one can consider when deciding on a breeder. GRCA membership is important since every year the member signs to uphold the Code of Ethics (but even that does not always mean they will actually uphold the CoE). PArticipation in various venues, such as obedience, tracking, agility, conformation- that should give the breeder more knowledge about the breed and their own dog and his/her worth to the gene pool. Clearances- at least the 4 core clearances-and done by proper practitioners, such as a cardiologist clearance for the heart rather than the pet vet's opinion.
Golden Marengere was thoroughly vetted in the preceding posts as to how his breeding program complies with best practices. I didn't go back to check today but assume nothing has changed there.

It will be a hard decision no matter what breed you go with, because no matter the breed, you will want to be sure the breed club's recommendations are followed as to clearances (they differ by the breed) and acceptable ethics. Even a mixed breed from the pound- you'll want to spend a good deal of time with that dog and read every assessment they have done on intake so you can make a good choice of a life partner. You will love having a pet, that I am sure of- they are always glad to see you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ray Marengere is a very reputable breeder. I purchased 2 Shih Tzus from him at 8 weeks old. They are now 4 yrs. and just took them to the farm to see Ray. It's an annual event with us and we stay in touch. He works incredibly long hours 7 days a week. A wonderful man who loves the dogs so much.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I would agree that he is reputable- but his reputation is not a good one.
I'm sorry to read that he has been breeding shih tzu as well as Goldens, hope he does a better job with them and does not treat them as farm animals raised on hay....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have purchased our 3rd Golden from Ray. He loves his dogs, takes VERY good care of them and works closely with thee vet in Caselman (one of the best in Canada). Our girls have been healthy, smart, sweet dispositions, and i would definitely go back to Ray for another puppy. while he may have a large operation,it helps avoid overbreeding. I believe he may also be crossing the American with the English to help breed out some of the defects American breed has had over the decades and that the english breed doesn't have.

I don't think he does any showing, but his dogs are definitely not treated like livestock. he knows them all and interacts with each and every one every day.

john boyd

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I am glad you are happy with your dogs from him, but I would posit that you are not in any position to determine anything about how to avoid overbreeding, and certainly you are making judgements on the English dogs that are not based in any factual study.
Goldens are not a breed that should be raised on hay- or in a barn-

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
I have purchased our 3rd Golden from Ray. He loves his dogs, takes VERY good care of them and works closely with thee vet in Caselman (one of the best in Canada). Our girls have been healthy, smart, sweet dispositions, and i would definitely go back to Ray for another puppy. while he may have a large operation,it helps avoid overbreeding. I believe he may also be crossing the American with the English to help breed out some of the defects American breed has had over the decades and that the english breed doesn't have.

I don't think he does any showing, but his dogs are definitely not treated like livestock. he knows them all and interacts with each and every one every day.

john boyd
Can you point me to the research/data/methodology that rates vets in Canada?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unreal

I am glad you are happy with your dogs from him, but I would posit that you are not in any position to determine anything about how to avoid overbreeding, and certainly you are making judgements on the English dogs that are not based in any factual study.
Goldens are not a breed that should be raised on hay- or in a barn-
Yes I am new to this forum and yes I own an 11 year old Golden or should I say I am owned by an 11 year old Golden. I purposely registered for this forum after reading this thread that started a few years ago and that I just happened upon. I am dumbfounded at your rudeness and yes it is rudeness. I am a 61 year old woman who unfortunately is not retired yet and reside on a hobby farm with my straight egyptian arabian horse, some miniature horses, chickens, ducks, many rescued cats... I find your tone to this other poster in extreme poor taste and upbringing. There are ways to educate people without looking down on them and basically attacking them personally with snide little comments from you and some others here. I can honestly state that I would never purchase a golden from a breeder who speaks with such rancour to others. Yes my golden is registered and I did purchase him from a registered breeder and he is now, some days, more slow to get up from his sleep position but that has to do with older age, something ALL dogs go through in their senior years. He has always had 7 acres of totally fenced land to play, run, etc, Your snide remarks about this other person's dogs being on hay is VILE and DISGUSTING and doesn't put your personally in a very good light. My dog is an indoor dog BUT they need the space to run and play, not stuck in a house 24/7 or be in an apartment downtown just so they aren't "on hay" as you so say. Hopefully you have learnt to tone down your rhetoric in a more thoughtful manner in the years since your messages were posted - signed "Danielle Emond (in case you think I am Ray) from Oxford Mills, Ontario. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yes I am new to this forum and yes I own an 11 year old Golden or should I say I am owned by an 11 year old Golden. I purposely registered for this forum after reading this thread that started a few years ago and that I just happened upon. I am dumbfounded at your rudeness and yes it is rudeness. I am a 61 year old woman who unfortunately is not retired yet and reside on a hobby farm with my straight egyptian arabian horse, some miniature horses, chickens, ducks, many rescued cats... I find your tone to this other poster in extreme poor taste and upbringing. There are ways to educate people without looking down on them and basically attacking them personally with snide little comments from you and some others here. I can honestly state that I would never purchase a golden from a breeder who speaks with such rancour to others. Yes my golden is registered and I did purchase him from a registered breeder and he is now, some days, more slow to get up from his sleep position but that has to do with older age, something ALL dogs go through in their senior years. He has always had 7 acres of totally fenced land to play, run, etc, Your snide remarks about this other person's dogs being on hay is VILE and DISGUSTING and doesn't put your personally in a very good light. My dog is an indoor dog BUT they need the space to run and play, not stuck in a house 24/7 or be in an apartment downtown just so they aren't "on hay" as you so say. Hopefully you have learnt to tone down your rhetoric in a more thoughtful manner in the years since your messages were posted - signed "Danielle Emond (in case you think I am Ray) from Oxford Mills, Ontario. Have a nice day.
Sorry - have to jump in here. From MY perspective Robin has not been rude at all in this thread - if anything, she has been measured and calm. She is highly respected here and in the Golden Retriever world. I'm currently meeting breeders and preparing to purchase a new puppy in the spring. Robin has bent over backwards to answer my many questions to her, both about her kennel and graciously has recommended 3 to 4 other kennels/breeders for me to speak with. And I would be HONORED to give one of Robin's pups a home, if she felt I was the type of home she was looking for, for one of her beloved puppies.

I also did not know anything about clearances and the importance of carefully selecting your breeder and your future puppy and found Noah through Craigslist. And of course, once you go to see a GR puppy - no matter their parentage, they have you at hello! LOL And of course, he joined our family. Would I trade him in for the world? Absolutely not - he's stuck with me for life. Would I recommend that someone else do the same as we did - Absolutely not. And I love his BYB as a person. She follows up with all the puppy parents, even comes to puppy reunion parties that are planned. She's a great person - BUT, she has never had any clearances done on her dogs. Her heart is in the right place, but there was no research involved in the pedigree. It's why "I" chose to get all four clearances done on Noah once I learned after the fact how important they are - because knowledge is power, and I want to know if he has inherited cardiac issues, eye issues, dysplasias. So far, he cleared on heart, eye and elbow, and has mild hip dysplasia (you wouldn't know it by seeing how he moves). But now we know, and we can plan for arthritic hips in his old age, that will probably be more painful than if he wasn't dysplastic. And eyes need to be done yearly.

With the high percentage chance of cancer taking our kiddo's lives (the last statistic I read is that over 60% of goldens die at a young age of cancer), why WOULDN'T you want to deal with a reputable breeder, who's passion is making sure that they breed the healthiest dogs possible, based on COI's, clearances, longevity of the lineage, etc? Ray clearly doesn't do that research, hell, he doesn't even get clearances on his sires and dams to mitigate passing on possible genetic defects. My Noah's breeder doesn't do that research either, and it's why we won't buy another puppy from her (though she's not even sure she'll do any other breedings at this time, she spayed Noah's dam after her last litter - and only has one other younger female at the moment).

Anyway, I'm really not sure why you, someone who until today, wasn't even a part of this discussion, is taking Robin's comments so personally, when they weren't even directed to you personally?

·
Registered
54 Posts
This has been an interesting string of posts to read. Those who have been defending Ray Marengere and his Golden Retriever Farm are completely missing the point of the reputable breeders on this forum. Robin of Prism Goldens has NOT been rude. She is helping to educate others on this forum about what qualifications are necessary for a Golden Retriever breeder to be deemed "reputable" -- and those qualifications include health clearances and breeding practices. This is CRUCIAL for people who love this breed and want to improve the future health and longevity of this breed. This man may be a very nice man who loves his dogs, but The Golden Retriever Farm is clearly a for-profit puppy farm or puppy mill or whatever label you want to give it. People who purchase puppies from this man are just perpetuating a practice that diminishes the future health and temperament of the Golden Retriever breed. For anyone who has lost a Golden to cancer or other genetically-predisposed health issues, what this man is doing is irresponsible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow... this post is disheartening. At the end of the day, you can't always make others understand the positive in what you're trying to say. To all saying Robin was rude, I'm unsure how you would say such a thing at all. She is in fact, supporting what she believes to be the proper way to raise this magnificent breed we have the privilege of owning. And she has an awesome reputation of doing so. Someone with her knowledge and reputation does not get there from being rude and condescending.

I think some have mistaken posts about the quality of the breeding, to be posts bashing the quality and overall nature of the person in light. Nobody said any rude things about Ray, they simply stated that they did not support his way of breeding. Nobody claimed that Ray did not love his dogs, they simply identified that his breeding practices had faults.

It's sad to hear people discredit the importance of health clearances, whelping environments, and breeding practices. No, obtaining all health clearances does not mean that their offspring will live until the longest possible age without issues, but it DOES INCREASE those chances. If you're willing to take a chance on producing/supporting a litter that has a higher chance of living with premature cancer or diseases at a young age, then frankly it is very confusing how one can claim to care so much for the well being of the animal. I guess some people look at pets as a luxury and not a family member....
We wouldn't practice/support ways that may increase our children's/family member's risk for cancer/disease now would we?

So for all claiming how Robin or others are being rude and inconsiderate, please understand that someone such as her has poured her heart, time, and I'm sure, tears, into this breed. Because some show their dog in a venue does not mean that they think they're better than others... it means they're dedicated to producing a quality life for their dog/breed. These people put so much time into endless research and evaluation to insure that they are producing a family member with longevity, health, and temperament in mind.

If you are not willing to educate yourselves on the standard and practice of the breed, do not attempt to discredit those who have spent YEARS doing so. Once you realize the importance of creating healthy offspring with the sake of their health in mind, and not your convenience, then you will know that all that has been previously stated is out of care for the breed.

At the end of the day, a breeder that produced pups without taking the proper steps to insure a quality life, is one who does so for profit. This is not to say these dogs are not capable of providing the same companionship as those from "show" or reputable breeders. But they were not produced with the right outcome in mind. This is also not discrediting the love Ray has for his dogs. But as I mentioned before, if your goal is not to optimize the chances of a healthy life and environment, how far does that love for the animal/breed reach?

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
With all due respect, I think you have taken Robin's comments completely out of context and turned them into something that she was not saying. She was not attacking people who live on farms, or have hobby farms, or raise their dogs on farms. You said yourself, your dog is an indoor dog who gets to run about your acres of land. That IS a great life for a dog - I am sure Robin would agree. What she was talking about was people breeding (and overbreeding) and raising puppies in a barn (on hay), with little to no socialization. Her comments weren't against the farming way of life - it was about the poor breeding of Golden Retrievers - a breed of dog that should not be bred and raised in barns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just stumbled on the forum and was reading a bit of it. Wanted to talk about my personal experience with Ray.
First off, I highly doubt he’d be on his forum as someone else... my dad and I used to go there and help him set up his computer, and I remember helping him and showing him how to use a computer. He is older and is quite tech challenged. He ended up having a student just fix up his website.

Secondly, we’ve have 2 golden retrievers from Ray’s farm. We live in Avalon in Orleans, and perhaps if anyone from the area happens to read them, they may know our first golden named Bear, and now we have Mason. I know there’s a lovely family who have adopted 3 golden retrievers from Ray, and they have a rescue one from Golden Rescue which I used to work at.

Health-wise and temperament-wise, both of our babies have been wonderful. Bear wasn’t neutered so sometimes he liked to run away from us, haha. But Mason is neutered and most people in the area see that he’s very happy-go lucky and loves being pet.

I mean, obviously everyone would have different experiences with Ray, but keep in mind he worked the entire farm on his own. My dad and I used to try and go out there to help him a bit after our first golden passed away. It was quite nice to play with the puppies and help him out for a couple of hours. I know a few high school students from orleans would go out there also to help him out.

I believe a few years ago I heard he was retiring the farm from the other family who has Golden’s from him. Unsure if he really has retired. We are considering going back to see if he has more puppies to keep our Mason company!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m new here but I feel the need to add to this thread. I used to work for Ray at the “farm”, and grew up around reputable dog breeders, so I feel qualified to give my two cents worth of thoughts.

The Golden Retriever Farm is not where I would get a puppy from.

Yes, he’s registered with the CKC, but that’s a piece of paper. He takes requests for a particular breeding, then usually tries to actually breed them, but if the bitch doesn’t take he’ll breed her to another stud and still tell the people it was the breeding they requested. One of his males is the size of a Newfoundland.... that’s something you should be prepared for, not surprised because you saw “the father” and he’s a normal sized Retriever.

He took back a dog he sold when its temperament was aggressive and then started using him as a stud. This male killed another of his studs and attacked a second, we were lucky to be near and pulled him off.

He literally had over 15 breeding dogs at a time.

He breeds his bitches as early and as frequently as he can, not giving them a good break between breedings to recover well.

He doesn’t do any of the testing he should to ensure he’s not breeding any genetic issues.

His dogs live their entire lives in a barn. They have never experienced life in a house. Yes, the puppies are sweet, but those adults are just there to make money for him, they’re not well loved pets who are part of the family.

You need to make your own choices, but the problem is that most of the general public doesn’t know what they should be looking out for. Make an informed choice.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts