Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luna just came home with us. She is 7 weeks old, and the sweetest thing that ever has been. We are new to being puppy parents, and even though we did a lot of reading and preparing before she came home, we seem to have already made some mistakes!
We knew we were supposed to spend as much time as possible with her after getting her, so we spent the first day with her completely, and neglected to ever introduce her to her kennel, thinking it would traumatize her. Boy, were we wrong! Putting her in the kennel that night was heartbreaking. She cried and cried. We tried moving the kennel downstairs to see if that would make her more comfortable, but the walls downstairs are less insulated (we live in a townhome with one main shared wall with our neighbor). She didn't calm down being down with us. She just wanted out of that cage! We knew we couldn't take her out, so we moved her back up to the second bedroom where she has a door to close her off for bedtime, and to help a little bit with the crying noise carrying. She cried almost an hour and a half, but then slept all night til the morning.
She went potty in her kennel sometime during the night, but went almost all day Sunday with no accidents. We went up to the second bedroom that day and just hung out with her in there and she walked right in there and even laid down inside for a little bit (door open). So last night, when it was time to put her to bed, we figured it would be less traumatizing. She cried just as loudly and as hard. When we went up to bed about 1.5 hours later, she cried again and I took her out to go potty, gave her a treat, and put her back to bed. She woke up again around 4am, and went out again. At about 5:30, she was up crying again and my husband went in and slept on the guestroom couch next to the kennel. She quieted down until I got up to get ready for work. I want this to go as quickly and smoothly as possible! I just need some pointers on what works? I hate to hear her so upset!

Attachments

·
Bailey's furr-less sister
37 Posts
When my golden was a puppy, she obviously hated the cage too. I would say, don't leave her in for an extended period of time, such as overnight, until she is more accepting of it. She has to get used to it, so i would say ween her into the cage. She obviously just wants to be with you, so maybe move it between the rooms you are in most often, stay in that room with her in the cage and then let her out, and just cycle through until she is more accepting of it and becomes used to your routine for her.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I put Mr. Darcy's crate on the bed with me, next to my pillows. I moved into the guest room for a couple of weeks. He never cried. And only needed to whimper a bit to go out during the night. He went out at 12 and 3, then up at 5. Now at 11+ weeks, he sleeps in his big kennel (outgrew the smaller one) in the bedroom with us. He goes to bed at 7 and sleeps until 6 or 7. Occasionally he wakes up when we go to bed and wants a potty outing but not every night.

I suggest you keep very close to her to make this transition as easy for her as possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When my golden was a puppy, she obviously hated the cage too. I would say, don't leave her in for an extended period of time, such as overnight, until she is more accepting of it. She has to get used to it, so i would say ween her into the cage. She obviously just wants to be with you, so maybe move it between the rooms you are in most often, stay in that room with her in the cage and then let her out, and just cycle through until she is more accepting of it and becomes used to your routine for her.
we'll give it a try! :crossfing lets hope she starts being more "accepting" soon! thanks so much!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I don't buy into the assumed hating the crate. Mr. Darcy has always had a pleasant experience with it starting on our trip home. Door open and me sitting by his side.

I think you'll find that loneliness and fear is at the root of it...not the crate. He loves his crate and actually whines a bit at bedtime to be let into the bedroom to go to sleep. During the day he loves napping in his xpen. It's about being close to you and feeling secure and protected.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I put Hank's crate right next to the bed. He could hear us breathing so he didn't feel alone. If he did wimper, I could stick my fingers in the crate and shhh him. Having his crate right there also allowed me to hear if he needed to go out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, last night was just as bad, if not worse than Sunday night. We put her into her kennel around 9:45 and she cried/screamed for almost an hour straight. We didn't go in the room or acknowledge it and she finally quieted down. She woke up a little after midnight, I took her out to go potty (which she was very unwilling to do.. I think she thought she was finally getting out) and then she cried and screamed for almost TWO HOURS. I am getting a little discouraged. I've been reading a lot on having a "play area" set up for her, since she has accidents when shes not constantly watched, so I tried putting her in the kitchen with a gate up and some toys. She screamed and howled until she was let out. I just don't know how to get her to play on her own, in her own little area, and I would love to know when the hell of crating is going to be over! I'm running on about 3.5 hours of sleep and its only Tuesday!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I put Hank's crate right next to the bed. He could hear us breathing so he didn't feel alone. If he did wimper, I could stick my fingers in the crate and shhh him. Having his crate right there also allowed me to hear if he needed to go out.
This is exactly what I did with Finn. His crate was right beside my bed and I could reach over and put my fingers through the crate. I would pet him a little and he loved it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we can try moving her crate into our room tonight, I'm willing to do anything to get her to not be so sad in there! My husband has spent the last few hours of his sleeping the last two nights on the couch with his hand near her cage for her to see. Maybe if we put her in our room, she will be calm. I am not crazy about the idea of her sleeping place being in our bedroom, but maybe just for a little while until she is comfortable!

·
Registered
400 Posts
She's a real cutie. Sad to hear crate training has been hard for you, it does get better. She is a little young to be away from her litter at 7 weeks so she needs some extra love and patience.

Couple of thoughts and suggestions:

There should never be a time that she is left in the crate long enough that she soils it, you want to be sure to give her enough opportunities to potty that this doesnt happen. There is a natural instinct not to soil her den and you want to encourage this to have success with a crate.

I would suggest as others here have said, move the crate to your bedroom. The sound of your breath, or better yet being able to see you will be a great comfort to her. I wouldnt be concerned that this will become her sleep area long term, at least for us our pup finds the coolest spot in the house now that he has graduated from sleeping in his crate at night. Consistence is key on this. If she cries you do not want her to get a reaction out of you. It's tough the first night or so, but it does get better.

Having something that smells comforting in the crate is also something we did to good success. Our breeder provided a stuffed toy to each family that had been kept with their mother and smelled of her. We always kept this toy in Murphy's crate and did not allow him to take it out from his sleep crate. We also slept with a clean hand towel in our bed each night which we rotated into the crate to provide our smell.

Going along with the idea of not reacting to crying is that at 7 weeks I would suggest that she should get 2 potty breaks in the night on a fixed schedule 2 - 3 hours apart. Set an alarm, don't let her cry to be let out. Those potty breaks should be just out of the crate, to the potty area, do business, get a small treat, then back into bed. No play, minimal interaction, and carry her both ways to minimize distractions.

It is also a good idea to remove her water an hour before bed time.

What my wife and I did to make this easier on us was trade off nights sleeping in the room with her if one of us was tired or had a big day at work.

Hope this is helpful to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's a real cutie. Sad to hear crate training has been hard for you, it does get better. She is a little young to be away from her litter at 7 weeks so she needs some extra love and patience.

...I would suggest as others here have said, move the crate to your bedroom. The sound of your breath, or better yet being able to see you will be a great comfort to her. I wouldnt be concerned that this will become her sleep area long term, at least for us our pup finds the coolest spot in the house now that he has graduated from sleeping in his crate at night. Consistence is key on this. If she cries you do not want her to get a reaction out of you. It's tough the first night or so, but it does get better.

Having something that smells comforting in the crate is also something we did to good success. Our breeder provided a stuffed toy to each family that had been kept with their mother and smelled of her. We always kept this toy in Murphy's crate and did not allow him to take it out from his sleep crate. We also slept with a clean hand towel in our bed each night which we rotated into the crate to provide our smell.

Going along with the idea of not reacting to crying is that at 7 weeks I would suggest that she should get 2 potty breaks in the night on a fixed schedule 2 - 3 hours apart. Set an alarm, don't let her cry to be let out. Those potty breaks should be just out of the crate, to the potty area, do business, get a small treat, then back into bed. No play, minimal interaction, and carry her both ways to minimize distractions.

It is also a good idea to remove her water an hour before bed time.

What my wife and I did to make this easier on us was trade off nights sleeping in the room with her if one of us was tired or had a big day at work.

Hope this is helpful to you.
thank you for all of the good advice. this website is a GODSEND. it has definitely eased my mind! We had no idea how unprepared we were! I'm relieved to know that everything is normal. I want to try the alarm method. I just finished reading a short book by the lady who runs "the housebreaking bible" site. had a lot of good info in there!

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
We used a small very soft and comfy dog bed inside the crate for our puppy, when she first came home at 8 wks. The crate was in our bedroom. We also had a towel with her siblings and mother's scent in the bed. Hopefully, your little girl will become more comfortable in a few days. Good Luck! The puppy time passes very quickly, although it doesn't seem like it at the time.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Penny's Mom has been hitting it out of the park with her posts. Your pup is lonely and scared and away from everything she's ever known in her short life. It's not the crate per se. She'll learn to be independent if you encourage her and make lots of positive, mellow experiences. Practice short crate acclimation sessions throughout the day, and avoid potty problems by taking the pup out preemptively and making sure she doesn't have too much space in the crate so she can't eliminate in one corner and sleep in another.

I wrote a whole article on crate training games and housebreaking if you want more detail and ideas.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
ln

Penny's Mom has been hitting it out of the park with her posts. Your pup is lonely and scared and away from everything she's ever known in her short life. It's not the crate per se. She'll learn to be independent if you encourage her and make lots of positive, mellow experiences. Practice short crate acclimation sessions throughout the day, and avoid potty problems by taking the pup out preemptively and making sure she doesn't have too much space in the crate so she can't eliminate in one corner and sleep in another.

I wrote a whole article on crate training games and housebreaking if you want more detail and ideas.
LN

I agree completely with Tippykayak and Penny's Mom. This is a bady who is lonely and scared-away from everything she's known in her short life. It takes time for them to feel secure. Puppyhood flies by. I would move her crate in your room. How long is she spending in the crate during the day?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LN

I agree completely with Tippykayak and Penny's Mom. This is a bady who is lonely and scared-away from everything she's known in her short life. It takes time for them to feel secure. Puppyhood flies by. I would move her crate in your room. How long is she spending in the crate during the day?
She was hesitant to go into the crate, but I talked to her and pet her until she fell asleep. I also got her a "mommys hearbeat" bear, she seemed to like that. I spent the night on the couch next to her crate, so that when she woke up (only once last night--we kept her up/busy until we went to bed) she only cried a few moments and realized I was there and stopped. I took her out, and she promptly went potty - which usually takes a lot of coaxing!- and went back up. She didn't make another peep until my alarm clock this morning woke both of us up! My husband is going to take a "couch shift" tonight, and hopefully, in a couple of days, it will only be us sitting with her a few moments each night before bed to get her to stay calm!

Monday-Friday she is in the crate from about 8:45 til I come home for lunch (I work about a half mile from home) and then she goes back in until about 5:15. I understand she is probably more likely to have accidents during the day, since she can be in there about 4 hours at a time, but shes doing really really well with her potty trips, and only had to go out once last night.

feeling a lot of relief today, thanks to all the good advice!

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
I have to admit I don't fully understand why you are trying to figure out why the puppy is making noise and upset when you keep on saying you have the puppy in a different room. You put him to bed in a room that you are not in, of course he's upset.

Keep in mind what you do initially to train the puppy is not what you have to live with for the rest of your life. Keep the puppy in your bedroom with you for the first couple of weeks until he gets used to you. I used to keep the puppy in the living room cuz that was in the area where I lived. He'd go to bed in there. When I was ready to go to bed, I took him out of crate for another toilet break and then moved the crate to my bedroom. Involved some night time toilet breaks as well initially. Then in morning I moved crate back out to living room. Yes it's pain but only for a bit plus you'll get sleep cuz you're in your bed. Bonus.

If you're not comfortable with the constant moving of the crate and the accidents when you're not watching, try keeping him on leash and tie the leash to you. Also helps with bonding.

It does get better. Just remember he's just a baby who left his mom and siblings and is someplace that completely alien to him. it will take time to settle in for both of you.

Reactions: jais81

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to admit I don't fully understand why you are trying to figure out why the puppy is making noise and upset when you keep on saying you have the puppy in a different room. You put him to bed in a room that you are not in, of course he's upset.

Keep in mind what you do initially to train the puppy is not what you have to live with for the rest of your life. Keep the puppy in your bedroom with you for the first couple of weeks until he gets used to you. I used to keep the puppy in the living room cuz that was in the area where I lived. He'd go to bed in there. When I was ready to go to bed, I took him out of crate for another toilet break and then moved the crate to my bedroom. Involved some night time toilet breaks as well initially. Then in morning I moved crate back out to living room. Yes it's pain but only for a bit plus you'll get sleep cuz you're in your bed. Bonus.

If you're not comfortable with the constant moving of the crate and the accidents when you're not watching, try keeping him on leash and tie the leash to you. Also helps with bonding.

It does get better. Just remember he's just a baby who left his mom and siblings and is someplace that completely alien to him. it will take time to settle in for both of you.

I think with all the excitement of having a new puppy come home with us, we got way too involved with the "fun" research like toys, beds, collars, and so on, and really only skimmed the parts of pre-pet parenting! We asked around to friends who are pet owners and basically all of their advice (Pre Luna) was "they'll just cry it out, you have to ignore it". After hearing her distress for a night or so, I decided to get on this site and start asking questions! I am so glad that I have. I know now she won't be "ruined" if we move her crate around a little. We're going to experiment with some different sleeping arrangements for a while until we find what makes everyone happier! I have had such a huge weight lifted off of my chest knowing that she had a good night last night, and knowing that she is adjusting to us. We are so looking forward to a happy, healthy life with our fur baby!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
So happy for you that it went better. They really just want to be next to you all the time. Get used to it...you're in for a lifetime of hero worship from your girl. They are called 'velcro' dogs for a reason. ;-)

I hope tonight goes well, too. Our little pup just put himself to bed...he cries at the bedroom door to be let into his crate. He'll sleep until 6:30 or so. A consistent 11 to 12 hours.

It will come!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts