Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do you have a crockpot? Do you use it?

• No, I don't have one, because I don't think I'd use it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a crockpot, and if so, do you use it a lot? I'm thinking about buying one - I don't know that many crockpot recipes, but it just seems so easy to lay out ingredients the night before, plop them in the crock pot before I leave for work, and come home to a hot dinner. This would be great, especially after a cold night at the barn, but my boyfriend and roommate both think we would not use one if we had one.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Do you have a crockpot, and if so, do you use it a lot?
I have one but I never use it when we are away from teh house. I have friends who do. I use it on weekends when I don't want to watch the stove. Works well. The kraft website has an entire section for dish suggestions.

I also use it to keep dip warm when we have parties.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is nothing like walking into your house after a long day at work to the smells of dinner waiting for you! My crock-pot gets most of its use in the fall/winter months.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
my hubby use's it more than me, shhh he cooks more often than I do but as of yet hasn't noticed :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
I LOVE my crockpot. I did not think I would use it all when my mom gave it to me as a gift. I use it ALL the time. You can look up recipes online "crockpot recipes". If you pm me I can send you some as well.

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
I have one, but I barely use it because I still live at home! I actually have NO CLUE where it is LOL Great, now I'll be in a frenzy to find it when I get home.
I DEFINITELY plan on using it when I'm out on my own. I have loved it so far for the little I've used it!! I would recommend it :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I cannot cook, but I have never cooked a bad meal in the crockpot.

A piece of meat (any kind), and a can of cream of anything soup... and Voila!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have always had crock pots. We usually use it once every 1-2 weeks. DH will mainly use it to make homemade pasta sauce and it comes out great!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
This is interesting, because I've also been looking at them...there are a lot of different brands, I noticed. Any preferences? Or sizes?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I hate my crockpot!!!

The reason? I'm home all day, and the food is in there all day cooking away. The smells drive me wild all day long, making me hungry... so what do I do but forage around the kitchen looking for something to eat ALL DAY!

Otherwise.... wonderful meals have come out of that thing! Sometimes I break out my rice cooker (use that thing at least 2X per week) and make some rice... hate to let all that nice sauce go to waste.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I have a couple of them a small one and a large one. I use one of them about once a month or so in the cooler months. Pot roast is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I love my crock pot!! I bought a really good crock pot cookbook with some delicious recipes in it!!

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
I have a Crock Pot but don't use it a lot - mostly during the winter as I use it for beef roasts and stews mostly. Most of them have a little recipe booklet included. Make sure you get the kind that has the removable crock for washing. (The old fashioned ones didn't and they were a pain to clean.)

Just remember to not add a lot of liquid - it doesn't need it.

Keep it simple - meat, taters, onion, carrots, salt/pepper or a bit of Mrs. Dash if you're watching your salt.

One warning - if your dog counter surfs, make sure the dog cannot get access to the crock when you are not home. They don't know to wait until it cools and can get seriously burned.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, y'all convinced me! I'm so glad I started this poll!

I've been looking into them, and have my choices slimmed down to a few models. If anyone has an suggestions let me know. Once I own the sucker I'm going to post for some good recipes!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I bought one yesterday, was at Sears and they had a really good deal on a Rival 7 qt. I'm actually trying it right now!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think the only things I've used mine for is chili and beef stroganoff. I'd like to find some good recipes though and start using it more often.
I don't like having things on the stove because when I'm busy working, I don't want to mess around with having to get up and stir every so often.

I couldn't go off and leave the house with a crockpot going, though. I know that's what they're designed for, but I'm such a paranoid freak about leaving things plugged in. :uhoh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts