Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago we had ladybugs year but this one is definitively the year of crickets. They are everywhere, hard to go around without stepping on them. Some decided to get into the house too. I don’t mind them but they drive hubby crazy. So I am the "hunter", an expert in catching and releasing them in "the wild". But it’s not an easy task, as soon as they hear you coming they go silent. Charlie knows what’s coming and gets excited every time they chirp because he loves to watch me in the "action". They settled in my (unfinished) basement and sometime I get tired going up and down the stairs. Is there any easy way of trapping them, without hurt of course?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yes! I'm in the Northeast US and have never seen as many crickets as I have this year. They are absolutely everywhere. I guess something about the weather worked out well for their population size. I read something that suggested making a cricket trap w/ a soda bottle like this -

·
Puddles
3,818 Posts
I believe in the catch and release path too... until they invade MY space and keep me awake :) This is a declaration of war!

Hot Shot makes a "no pest" strip. It's not a sticky fly paper thing, just hang it out of reach of the kids and/or dogs. You can find them in the garden area of Ace Hardware or Walmart. All will be silent in 24 hrs. This will also remove spiders, flies, fleas & mosquitoes. They last for about 3 months (I put the date on the bottom of the holder)

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I’ve been having a problem with spider crickets this year :surprise: . At least they don’t chirp but they jump high and drive Luna crazy!!! Good luck getting rid of yours.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not know there is such a thing as spider cricket.
Thanks for your help, it is wait and see right now. 3 showed up on main floor and were let go outside, house is quiet now.
I like the noise they make, it reminds me on my carefree childhood summers in the countryside, happy times.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I did not know there is such a thing as spider cricket.
Uhg. Wish I didn't Google what a spider cricket is. Can't un-see it now.

I can tolerate most bugs, but spiders and especially house centipedes creep me out. I killed a house centipede just this morning in the kitchen. Hate hate hate those things. They move so fast. It's the time of year where they start coming in the house too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uhg. Wish I didn't Google what a spider cricket is. Can't un-see it now.

I can tolerate most bugs, but spiders and especially house centipedes creep me out. I killed a house centipede just this morning in the kitchen. Hate hate hate those things. They move so fast. It's the time of year where they start coming in the house too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata
You remind me on my daughter, she is "spider-o-phobic". I cant tell you how many times she phoned me at work screaming spider is in the house lol.

I am "snake-o-phobic".

·
Registered
257 Posts
We live an hour east of Toronto and I agree that this year in particular is really bad for crickets. I thought it was odd, but glad to know this is happening all over.

Kora constantly has them jumping on her and sitting in her fur during walks and Tessa is totally distracted when walking now because she tries to catch them.

I have a double walking leash and poor Kora is pulled all over when Tessa attempts to catch all the crickets!

Sooo gross and frustrating!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kora constantly has them jumping on her and sitting in her fur during walks and Tessa is totally distracted when walking now because she tries to catch them.

I have a double walking leash and poor Kora is pulled all over when Tessa attempts to catch all the crickets!

Sooo gross and frustrating!
Charlie tries to smell them and it is so funny when they jump up right into his nose, and he pulls back looking at me like "what just happened!!!"

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I’ve been having a problem with spider crickets this year :surprise: . At least they don’t chirp but they jump high and drive Luna crazy!!! Good luck getting rid of yours.
Well the good news is the spider crickets are gone :smile2: . But...... the bad news is its the attack of the STINK BUGS :surprise: !!! I have them everywhere! My screens are covered with them its like a horror movie! I tried dish soap diluted in a dishpan with a light shining on it the other night and nothing!!! We're supposed to get a cold weather snap in a few days. I hope that will take care of them?!?!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,694 Posts
I've still got crickets signing the song of their people..........

We have stink bugs here but they haven't been that bad this year for some reason.

Last night I killed 2 good sized spiders. I kill spiders because my guys have been bitten by spiders a few times and had an allergic reaction which required a Vet trip and meds.

I show no mercy when it comes to spiders....

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Google “essential oils” to get rid of various types of insects. I found one recipe that gets rid of spiders. I just moved into a new apartment (brand new build) and, yikes, between the spiders and the black horned beetles I was really grossed out. The recipe for spiders includes lavender oil and peppermint oil along with water, a tablespoon of dish soap, and white vinegar. Bugs really don’t like essential oils because the oils are so strong. The white vinegar, also known as ascetic acid, actually kills the spiders.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well the good news is the spider crickets are gone :smile2: . But...... the bad news is its the attack of the STINK BUGS :surprise: !!! I have them everywhere! My screens are covered with them its like a horror movie! I tried dish soap diluted in a dishpan with a light shining on it the other night and nothing!!! We're supposed to get a cold weather snap in a few days. I hope that will take care of them?!?!
Stink bugs are horrific here in Delaware too. I saw the dish soap and lighted pan thing and tried it too.... No luck!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speaking of essential oils I got a spray, mixture of essential oils, for ticks and bugs from local herbalist. Not sure was it the timing or it really worked but I stopped finding ticks on Charlie since I started using it.
It is getting cold here I don't hear crickets any more.:frown2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts