Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone,

I am from India and I have a 10 months old English Golden retriever named Winter. He is very active, but he seems to have some kind of a skin infection.

Till the first 4 months he was fine. He was on Royal Canin Junior Golden Retriever food for 6 months. After that we startid noticing pimple / Scales on his skin which looks dry. Some times when we groom him these scales break and comes with the dead hair and will look green or white like dandruff. and from then on it has been increasing.

I have consulted a couple of vets and below are the observations.

0. He is from a good Pedigree, documented and healthy parents.
1. Checked with the breeder and owner of his mother and none of his siblings seems to have this reported problem.
1. He is up to date with vaccine and de-worming.
2. Takes vitamins and calcium tables as directed by the vet.
3. He has no ear infection and had his anal glands checked - But still he chews his tail hair off sometimes.
4. He takes bath once in two weeks.
5. We brush him with Furminator once a week and normal brush three times a week. So almost alternate days
6. Currently he gets Rice, carrots, boiled eggs, pumpkin and sweet potatoes in his good.
7. He currently takes bath with Aloveen an Oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner.

Vet 1 - He said this is common in white retrievers and he has other patients too with the same.

0. Winter likes to spill water and sleep on it - Asked us to not allow him - Done - No Improvement
1. Asked us to stop all types of floor cleaning liquids to eliminate allergies - we clean and mop it twice a day - Still no improvement
2. Asked us to reduce meat and check contents including egg to eliminate allergies - Done - Still no improvement
3. Asked us to change different types of shampoo to eliminate allergies - Done - No Improvement
4. Asked us to give no grains except for rice based food to eliminate allergies - Done - No improvement
5. Tried an Antibiotic vaccine - It went off and got cleared for 2 weeks and then came back
6. Tried an Anti-fungal vaccine it went off for 2 wees and then came back.

Vet 2 - He said is because we are giving him frequent bath and asked us to make it once in a month

1. But by 15 days he gets a lot of these scales kind of thing on the skin. SO not sure if i can wait for a month.

When we groom him, the dried scales break off from his skin and comes with his dead hair and I have attached some pictures of it.

Attached are a few pictures pictures.

Please suggest what I should do, I don't want to keep taking him to a vet so frequently and keep him on antibiotics.

0. Dos and Donts?
1. Medication?
2. Food?
3. Bath routine?
4. other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Is it possible that he has ichthiosis? This is a genetic skin condition. Goldens can be “clear,” “carrier,” or “affected.” Of those affected, there is a range of severity. My understanding is that a higher percentage of Western European pedigrees carry the genetic markers for this disorder. A blood test can confirm. Search ichthiosis on this forum for multiple threads regarding treatment.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Is it possible that he has ichthiosis? This is a genetic skin condition. Goldens can be “clear,” “carrier,” or “affected.” Of those affected, there is a range of severity. My understanding is that a higher percentage of Western European pedigrees carry the genetic markers for this disorder. A blood test can confirm. Search ichthiosis on this forum for multiple threads regarding treatment.
Welcome to the forum. Your boy is very handsome. My first thought was icthyosis also.

Reactions: BrianO

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the catch on spelling. Do search ichthyosis. Darn autocorrect.

And I agree. He has a rather regal look about him.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree, my first thought was also ichthyosis. Another thing though, I would stop using the furminator brush. It is very harsh and damaging, especially to long coats. Instead, I would recommend using an undercoat rake to pull out the loose undercoat.

Reactions: Hilabeans

·
Registered
4 Posts
sdakshna I am so sorry to hear about your golden! Hypothyroidism is one issue that is common in golden retrievers and definitely worth looking into. Some symptoms can include: flaky skin/dandruff, oily skin, chronic infections, especially skin infections and lesions, thinning of hair or patchiness, obesity, abnormal eye pressure, hyperkeratosis (can soemtimes manifest itself on paw pads, nose, tips of ears as looking crusty/scaly), lethargy.

My golden has hypothyroidism. We initially just noticed that he had flaky skin and skin lesions. The doctor misdiagnosed it as allergies and treated it as such for a few years. It eventually progressed to all the symptoms above and more. We eventually did a thyroid test. The initial one was maybe $218 and then the subsequent ones were maybe $40. He is now on the medication Levothyroxine (Thyroxine). It basically takes care of his issues and is a super low cost medication. Once we found the right dose of medication we just have to get his T4 test every once in a while.

I found the comments about ichthyosis to be interesting! I've never heard of that before. That also looks like it could be worth looking into.

If you ever find a diagnosis for anything, let us know! I would love to hear what happens. Very beautiful dog by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your replies. The place I stay we have good vets and big vet care hospitals but not sure if any have DNA testing labs. I think they might be sending dna samples out to someother place to get it checked. I will check with them.

For now he is good. The dandruff thing is on and off. We are brushing him daily for minimum 15 mins and it helps. When ever he gets more we give him a bath with alooven an oatmeal based shampoo as he is not allergic to grains and it soothes his skin and he feels very relaxed.

Now that we know his food is not causing allergies (as we stopped all meat products and kept him on lean vet suggested diet and tested over a couple of months), I am planning to put him back on his regular diet / food as per the vet's recommendation.

Furminator we use it once a week nd not too much, we will try to use it further less as per your recommendations. I will update you all in sometime with progress.

Attached are Winter's latest pics.

Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts