Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Our puppy Layla is now 7 1/2 months old and is doing great. We have been really fortunate that she has not destroyed anything major (ate some drywall which I fixed and chewed on the leg of a chest), otherwise she has been great. However, the only big issue we are having is when people come over to visit Layla goes crazy! When she hears someone come in she gets super hyper, runs to get something to retrieve to the person and then jumps on them and keeps running around crazy. This lasts for 5-8 minutes. Is this something she will grow out of? What can we do to fix this?

Thanks!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Hey everyone. Our puppy Layla is now 7 1/2 months old and is doing great. We have been really fortunate that she has not destroyed anything major (ate some drywall which I fixed and chewed on the leg of a chest), otherwise she has been great. However, the only big issue we are having is when people come over to visit Layla goes crazy! When she hears someone come in she gets super hyper, runs to get something to retrieve to the person and then jumps on them and keeps running around crazy. This lasts for 5-8 minutes. Is this something she will grow out of? What can we do to fix this?

Thanks!
I'm curious about responses because we have this problem x2. Two puppies, an 8 month old and 11 month old. It drives me nuts, too, because I worked so hard trying to train both of them that they have to sit and be calm for any attention.

But now, omg. It's horrible. :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Patience helps and having lots of visitors come by to practice. Make it get old to them. Although, they will always be happy to have visitors so expect some excitement out of them.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
She will out grow it with practice. Chester did!! One thing we did was have a jar of small treats by the door (I do daycare in my home so same people came everyday) after a sit he got a treat. With four families doing this at least twice a day he got better. We need to work on this with Murphy but he needs to get rid of those puppy teeth, he is a bit bitey and my daycare kids are a bit younger this time around. Right now is mostly stuck behind the babygate, so I don't think he will learn as quick to behave when people come to the door.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Our Daisy is 5 months old, and yes we have the same problem, both when any one visits, and when she meets people on walks. And she meets LOTS of people every day at parks, and she still gets completely crazy!!! I'm hoping with time she will one day get a bit bored of so many people - maybe in a few years time??? lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our Ginger (11 mo.) is the same way. She thinks everyone has come to play with her. When we are on walks, she will sit or lie down when she sees someone coming. I try to treat and praise but when they get close she can't hold it any longer. She want to go to them and jump up on them. Maybe she will get better soon.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Problem x 2 here as well....with our 9 and 11 month old. After 5 minutes or so, they calm down but until then....yikes!!! We're practicing calming down when "daddy" gets home so hopefully this will rub off on other people who dare to come to our door!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just bumping this thread, wondering if anybody has any tips for this? Our 11 month will burst through the walls with excitement when somebody visits and usually calms down after 5 minutes or so.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Just bumping this thread, wondering if anybody has any tips for this? Our 11 month will burst through the walls with excitement when somebody visits and usually calms down after 5 minutes or so.

I believe that is called "The everybody loves me and thinks I am cute" golden personality:D

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Riley did this too but eventually with lots of patience and practice he is much better! We worked a lot on not jumping and I taught him to sit in front of me when I walk in the door. In terms of people he doesn't know though, we did a lot of work with the command "Go visit." First we just did it with me and my boyfriend. One of us would have Riley sitting by us and then we would say go visit and point to the other one. The other person would then call Riley over and have him lie down for a treat (mind you this requires that the dog have good recall and lie down command before you start). Then, once he was really good at that and he didn't even need to be told to lie down any more, we started having friends come over to visit and we would practice. We would tell him to "go visit" and the friend would call him and he would run over and lie down. Then we transitioned to them not even calling him over, we would just say "go visit" and he would run over and lie down in front of them. With enough different people and practice, he does that really well. Now when new people come over we can say "go visit" and he just runs to them and lies at their feet as a greeting - much less invasive!

I think that no matter how you train him not to do this, the idea is to give him a task to do instead of jumping around and etc. Riley loves to work and do tricks and things so instead of just teaching him not to jump, we taught him to do something else instead. I feel like its much easier to teach a dog to DO something than to teach them to NOT DO something.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have all company ignore Kahuna until he relaxes and then he gets love... He calms so fast now :)

Reactions: darbysdad

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
LOL I hear that! Had a heck of a time "training" the company hahahaha but it's really paid off as far as Kahuna's behavior and manners :)

I have given up on some of our friends. Now when Wyatt won't leave them alone I just say "Ha ha ha that's what you get! It's not like we haven't warned you over and over again":D Dogs are so much easier to train lol!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Y es, i have this problem, also, they get so excited, and spirit jumps, but is a little better, not many people stop over, so practice of someone arriving, is not possible.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have given up on some of our friends. Now when Wyatt won't leave them alone I just say "Ha ha ha that's what you get! It's not like we haven't warned you over and over again":D Dogs are so much easier to train lol!
I have had to throw the "this is my dog and he's in training and you HAVE to listen to me or you just don't get to see my dog" and I felt like a total jerk when I did it but I also felt they were being rude too by not abiding my instructions for MY dog **shrug** They gave in and did as asked hahaha

Reactions: Wyatt's mommy

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
We had to break our last Golden of this. Nothing more than desensitizing the dog to the situation. We figured out that we were our own worst enemy when it came to the problem. Like many households, when the doorbell rings or there was a knock on the door, someone either screams out to someone else to get the door, or we fly out of our chairs and hurry to answer it. The dog sees you get hyper and excited about it, so in turn they feel as if they should too. We had to break that habit. If you have a lot of people around your neighborhood, have them enter your house and just casually walk past the dog. You can have the dog on a lead and as soon as you see her get excited, redirect with a treat. If you get a constant flow of people, back and forth with redirection on your part, the dog figures out that this is nothing to get excited about anymore. I drive a bunch of kids to school everyday. They were told to just come on in and ignore the dog. Now Darby lifts her head to look around and nothing more. It works because it happens everyday. The more you do this, the easier it gets. Just my 1.5 cents.:)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Kvar

Kvar

We took our sweet Golden Ret. Female, Smooch, who is now at the Rainbow Bridge, to a dog trainer, for this exact problem.
GET a empty plastic Coke bottle, 16 oz. size, fill it 1/4 full with pennies and take it to the door with you every time and when she jumps up on someone, give it several quck shakes; it will startle her and when she sits down, praise her. You have to be consistent with this and always shake it to break the bad behavior. It does work-it worked for Smooch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts