Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So Roomba is 4 months now and she's quite the handful. She's gotten very comfortable with us and her surroundings and I feel because of that she's now a psycho. Not in a bad way, definitely a puppy way. But it's draining me out. She is very difficult to walk during walk time and potty time. She doesn't listen when I call her over or tell her "no". She's very difiant. She wants to eat or chew everything she sees, which includes my arms, hands and hair. She jumps on everyone and every dog. She digs and eats so much grass; I feel like I'm constantly pulling grass out of her mouth. And when I do go to reach into her mouth she bites; not hard or aggressively, but it's there and she growls or snarls a little.

Anyway, I know this is all extremely normal buy what did you guys do and how long did it last for you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Chloe's biting stopped around the 4 to 6 month stage. It gradually stopped in that age. Your pup is teething which makes it worse. Hang in there because it does get better. Chloe is nine months and is a pretty wonderful girl. Your right at the worst age. One day the lightbulb will go off and you will be so shocked at how well behaved your dog is if you are training correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're taking puppy classes and she does do well with her commands. She graduates next Tuesday and we already have her signed up for the next level and we practice at home. I know this age and the next couple months are the worst. Everyone keeps saying hang in there, which I knew already. She's such a sweet, loving and friendly girl. Just so much energy! I just took her for a play date with another dog owned by my friend. She's passed out haha.

·
Jaxsters Mom
92 Posts
For the chewing, I use a spray that is 100% non toxic and safe for intake but the puppys/dogs will not lick it or want to chew on whatever it is sprayed on, its very sour or something for them. Works great for my little guy. There are a tons of different brands, just ask at local pet store.
P.s I even use it on my leather couches!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This all sounds pretty normal and familiar.

She is very difficult to walk during walk time and potty time. This will definitely get easier with time. Every once in a while, our 7-month-old will still dig his paws in and not want to move, but 90% of the time he is great on the leash.

She doesn't listen when I call her over or tell her "no".
Keeping working on "no" or "leave it" or whatever the command is and she will eventually get it. As for recall, I have read that to get a dog who comes 100% of the time can take years. Our dog is much better with it than he was a few months ago, but he still has moments where you call him and he just sits and stares at you.

She wants to eat or chew everything she sees, which includes my arms, hands and hair. She jumps on everyone and every dog. She digs and eats so much grass; I feel like I'm constantly pulling grass out of her mouth. And when I do go to reach into her mouth she bites; not hard or aggressively, but it's there and she growls or snarls a little. The desire to chew on you should go away soon. Your puppy is teething, so once that is out of the way, your hands and arms should be safe. However, my dog still puts everything in his mouth. He wants to grab every branch and leaf he sees. However, what has worked for us is using the "leave it" command, and then, depending on what he has, giving him a trade.

Overall, this will get easier, so don't worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts