Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having issues with Layla and some aggressive behavior which has gotten worse since her spay surgery last month.

All of our dogs have been out of their crates by 9 months old. Layla is a little over a year old and still quite destructive. I had originally told hubby that maybe by Christmas we would let her sleep upstairs with us at night. Now I am not so sure...and hubby is upset with me. Last night we were sitting there watching tv... Layla was resting at hubbys feet, Dream was sleeping on the sofa. Layla while still laying down started barking and growling at Dream - then ran over to attack her, this has been happening more frequently since her surgery. Hurley has seizures, I am positive if she saw him seizing she would attack him.

So is it cruel for a dog to sleep in a crate as an adult? She is only crated at bedtime, and if we are gone for long periods of time. Usually someone is always here, so she is out all day. It is an XL airline crate, she is quite small, so she has plenty of room in there.

Hubby is going to drive me nuts with this...and I am the one who will not get any sleep trying to keep Layla out of trouble all night long. I just don't think she is trustworthy yet...

I am taking her next month to get a thyroid panel - although she shows no other symptoms than being a bit more aggressive (she always was), and she finally is eating two cups of kibble a day (YAY!).

thanks,

Julie

·
Registered
401 Posts
We are keeping my daughter's boxer while they build a new house and, at two, she still sleeps in her crate in our room. My daughter has her trained that way and the few times that I let her out it was up, down, up, down all night. Sully also started back to sleep on my pillow like when she was a puppy. Jealousy overrules friendship. I don't think that it is bad if that is what is needed. Better safe than sleepless!

·
Registered
425 Posts
So is it cruel for a dog to sleep in a crate as an adult?

Julie
I definitely don't think it's cruel for a dog to sleep in a crate as an adult. Although we tend to see crates as cages, dogs are cave animals and tend to feel safe and secure in their crates. I bought a big, comfy L.L. Bean bed for my pup and we still have her crate in our bedroom. We leave the crate door open, and every time she sleeps in the crate rather than on the dog bed. We even have tried to get her to sleep in our bed with us, but she prefers the crate. I actually think it is more cruel to put your other dogs at risk and allow the possibility that someone could get hurt. Maybe as a compromise you could move the crate to your bedroom?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think it is important for you to not to feel tensed when you go to bed. So if keeping your dog in a crate at night makes you feel confortable, then it shouldn't be cruel to make your dog sleep in a crate.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
We have two crates in bedroom. Murphy is only 17 weeks so he is closed up in his, but we couldn't take Chesters crate down because he still chooses to sleep in it with the door open. Some times early in the morning he will join us on the bed...but I really think they feel safe in their crates. I don't think Chester would care if I closed the door he would just go to sleep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts