Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been posts on this subject, but here I post as I have specific questions.

Sienna just turned two. She has always been crated at night. She is crated during the day and I feel horribly guilty. I've started thinking of seeing how she does crateless through the night, but was wondering about a few things. I'm not so sure about during the day (she does get into things, but am hoping she will mostly just sleep through the night)

What do we do about my son's room? I do not want to shut the door, but I do not want Sienna to go in there (too many things to nibble on). I could put up a gate, but if my nine year old has to fly to the bathroom in the middle of the night (as kids do) I'm afraid there will be a collision- with either gate or dog.

I have very little time to myself. I've taken to waking up 1/2 earlier to play on the computer and organize myself in the mornings (I'm much more of a morning person anyway) once Sienna is up, without the crate, I am a play target. The problem I have is I am alone most mornings so I cannot take her for a long walk (can't leave DS alone) so I wake up early, organize etc. and then play with Sienna out in our backyard until it is time to wake up my son for school. DH's hours are very long 4:30am to around 7:00pm. I love my dog, but how can I still keep some time to myself?

My last question pertains to the famous blushing post of what to do if you want to get up to some mischief with your SO? If Sienna gets used to sleeping in our room, can we really kick her out and shut the door? (self conscious-ness does tend to ruin the mood LOL) I don't know how all of you with doggies sleeping in the bed do it. DH doesn't want Sienna on the couch or bed :(

Okay, so I guess I have one more- how would we go about doing this and what should I do for safety etc. I don't "think" she would counter surf during the night, but who knows... how do you remember not to trip or freak out with something moving in the night? Am I saying goodbye to every sleeping in until 8:00am?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I don't really see why it has to be 'all or nothing'...how about leaving her in certain rooms...my dogs have never sleep in crates but don't have full roam of the house at night (or in the day)...not for any particular reason (as they wouldn't get in to anything) but just because we have doors between rooms! They have always slept in the living room and we just tend to shut the living room door to the stairs...although if I left it open they would stay in the living room because that is what they are used to. I don't really want to share my bed with the dogs as they are just too big so can't help with the nookie question, lol!!

I have read a few questions like this on the forum and have always wondered why it seem to be either the dog confined to a crate or wanting them to have full run of the house...how about starting her off with something inbetween and just let her have access to certain rooms by using doors? That way you can set her up for success by 'doggy proofing' the room to ensure she can't get up to no good!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It sounds as though Sienna needs some exercise time so she can get rid of some energy and you feel guilty about not having the time for her. Have you considered doggy daycare at least once a week? Do you feel comfortable putting her out in the backyard while you are gone or wanting some time to yourself?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I would suggest experimenting and see what works best for you.

From the first night we had Rusty (8 weeks), the only time we EVER crated him was when we were not home. For the first six moths we did ALOT of couch sleeping. We were very lucky because he would wake me a couple times a nite to go out...he NEVER had a nite inside accident. We also NEVER had a problem with overnight mischief. Once he was a year old or so, and we thought we could trust him when we were gone, we weaned him off the crate all together. There were times that we used gate control, like when we had company during the holidays, but 99% of the time he had the run of the house.

As for "private time":cavalry:, we never cared if he watched, as long he didn't try to join in.:uhoh:
He usually just slept thru it. :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I
Sienna just turned two. She has always been crated at night. She is crated during the day and I feel horribly guilty. I've started thinking of seeing how she does crateless through the night
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When Piper was 6 mo she was in the crate all night next to my bed so I would know if she had to "go" in the middle of the night. Over the next couple weeks I left the crate door open but had a child gate across the bedroom door. More night freedom, but still close enough to hear her pacing the floor if she had to go. Now at 11 months she sleeps on the bed with my 75lb terrier mix. Sometimes I find myself pinned between them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My last question pertains to the famous blushing post of what to do if you want to get up to some mischief with your SO? If Sienna gets used to sleeping in our room, can we really kick her out and shut the door? (self conscious-ness does tend to ruin the mood LOL) I don't know how all of you with doggies sleeping in the bed do it. DH doesn't want Sienna on the couch or bed :(
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not a problem here.
No SO.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
144 Posts
Both poppy and Jasper have never been crated. I work 3 12 hr shifts, and my hubby is self employed, so normally they are left for 4 hrs at the most. I leave mine in the lounge and they can get into the kitchen. I have a baby gate to stop them going upstairs. I have never had any problems. Could you not limit them to 1 or 2 rooms during the day?

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
If you put her in the crate, as you normally would, and then leave the door open, will she stay inside?
We've just started letting Max have free run of the house when we're not home, and most times he will be in the crate when I get home.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
here what i do.We have similar situation when my DH out of town.I get up at 6:00 with Honeys help.She sleeps in our room know.I have a gate to our room and leave kids room doors open for bathroom flying.Prepare for first several night a lot of excitement from Sienna.Just ignore her.Anyway.At 6"00 me and Honey strolling outside on backyard.I am not even seriously dressed,just a sweat shirt and pants and we play for 15min and she does all her business.Then we go back,i feed the dogs and they rest.I go to take a shower and get ready.By 6:45 kids are up,breakfast and......We leave for school at 7:30 and I take dogs with us and after i drop kids to school i play with them another 20...min next to school.When we done I drop them home.Give them cookie and Know i am flying to work.Work so far for me.I know it's hard but you can do it.Sometimes we leave little early for school and walk from local park to school .

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
They do make baby gates with very easy to open doors in them.. maybe that would be a good solution to gate off your son's room... sure its not as easy for him to just bolt to the bathroom, but atleast he wouldn't have to jump over a gate or move it.

At 2 years old, I would definitely atleast try to let her sleep outside the crate at night. Even as a young pup, Sam learned the difference between awake time and sleep time.. and just slept happily on the floor by the bed (until he was big enough to get ON the bed.. lol)

As far as "adult time" we lock the dogs outside of the bedroom or else they try to stick their noses in unpleasant places ;) They lay right outside the bedroom door (literally smushed against the door) and wait patiently until we let them back in.

If your DH is anything like my boyfriend, he'll change his mind about the no dogs on the bed rule quickly... there's nothing like golden snuggles :) We have TWO bed hogs.. but neither of us really minds :)

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I totally believe in crate training but we let ours sleep in their dog beds in our bedromm at four or five months. If they wandered it was back in the crate. They figured it out pretty fast.

And as for private time, Dh just has to snap his fingers and point and they are gone. (to the other side of the door five feet away). They love it when daddy and mommy are happy :).

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies, gave me things to think about!!:eek: I would really love to have her out as much as possible. I think a more permanent gate with open/close for DS's room would be a better idea. I think she will be okay, it will just take some getting used to. Hope I don't trip over her :eek:

I will need to make myself more productive at night when Sienna will wind down (maybe :uhoh: LOL). I was trying to carve out some time for myself because I am more productive in the mornings.

Olik you gave me some ideas... I wish DS's school started earlier. As it is I only take a 1/2 lunch at work so I can get DS to school and pick him up. (I am hourly) Because of DH's hours I do the run around. Now that the weather is improving, I might trying to run Sienna while on a bike in the mornings before DS is up, I would just do it up and down the street... I don't think she gets enough exercise in the yard, especially since we have to retrain her to drop the ball- mostly she tries to play keep away. If I just leave her out there to explore etc, she digs and eats muddy dirt clods :eek:

Winter is hard. I am looking forward to being outside as much as possible. More exercise will be good for Sienna and a good release for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts