Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is not crate trained and I was wondering if it is too late to train her? At night she sleeps in my room with no problem from about 11-845am. Is the crate only used for at night? I was wondering if when I leave my house for a few hours when it's pouring rain outside would it be a good idea to put her in the crate? She is potty trained already. If you could help me out that would be great.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
How old is she? I don't think its ever too late to crate train. If she does fine (no accidents, no chewing) during the night in your bedroom, I wouldn't change that. But if you feel uncomfortable leaving her home alone while you run errands, you may want to use the crate for that because awake dogs cause more trouble than tired sleeping ones. ;)

I never crate trained mine, so I have no real advice other than that. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry she is 5 months going to be 6 on the 23rd

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
No, your pup isn't too old to crate train... and the crate isn't just for at night or potty training. I think EVERY dog should be crate trained, at least enough to accept it for emergency situations (things like having to evacuate your home, an emergency trip to the vet, etc). You don't want your pup's first time in a crate to be stress (of the event) piled on stress (of not understanding/liking the crate). Make it a happy place, toss in treats for the dog to get, hide toys or other goodies in it, feed some meals in there, and gradually build up the time your pup can stay in the crate and be content. You may never need it for any reason again, and I hope that you don't, but should it become necessary it could be a life saver.

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I would never leave her alone in the house by herself for a couple of reason. She gets into everything. I understand shes a puppy and that's going to happen. I don't really mind that. But when we're not home. I don't want her to get into something and hurt herself. The other reason is the cat. The Cat hisses at poor sophie if Sophie even looks at her from 5 feet away. Thanks for all your advice. I will be looking into getting one this week.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It's never too late to crate train. The crate is very, very useful, especially when you leave the house and can't take the dog with you. It keeps the dog safe and out of trouble in the house. We always use our crate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts