Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
watching him grow so fast
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I did A LOT of research on crates and asked people about experiences and stuff. I've never crate trained before so I was a little unsure. After finding out that my breeder exposed the puppies to crates from birth I figured I should just keep it up. Well Tyson has been home since May 1st, and he sleeps in his crate every night and we have never had a problem. About 3 weeks ago my mom brought her dogs over to play and for me to bath and etc. and they were sniffing around his crate going in and out so I waited till they were all inside and just closed and locked the door curious to see what they would do. They just sat there and looked at me, so I called my mom and she walked in and saw that they took to it quite well. Anyways, fast forward a bit and my mom got a crate for her girls and they love it. Fast forward till yesterday: my mom was moving, so me and Tyson went over to help settle her in, the girls were locked up so that we wouldn't trip or step on them (their small shihtzus) anyways, me and my mom are working in the other room when all of the sudden I hear Tyson totally freaking out, crying and yelping, I ran into the room and look down and he has his mouth stuck in between the bars of their crate! :doh:

I had to push his nose through one space, flip him on his side, and try to unhook his top teeth and one eye tooth from the bars and the whole time he was crying and wiggling around a bit :( I think he felt a bit better once I was there but he was clearly in pain :(:( So I get him un-stuck and the first thing he does is high tail it away from their crate and sat in a corner looking all sad and it broke my heart. So I had to walk up to him calmly and sit on the ground to try and get him to come for a cuddle. He didn't want me near his mouth at first but I eventually managed to take a peek inside at his teeth and his one top tooth was bleeding :( His bottom teeth looked okay but when I checked on him this morning it looks like one bottom tooth might of either fallen out or broken off :( I had no idea this was even possible, I have no idea why he was even doing that... on the plus side when I dropped my end of my moms dresser I was helping her move it didn't land on her but I still felt like such a meanie for him getting hurt :(

Has anyone else had this issue? Did anyone else know this could happen?
I don't think he can generally do this from the inside of his crate? But now I am definitely more concerned about leaving him unattended in his crate :no:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Get his tooth looked at soon...he could get an infection.

This can happen and does happen. Dogs need to be taught to be good in a crate and when around other crated dogs.

There are all sorts of crate horror stories about dogs with severe separation anxiety.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same thing happened to Morgan when she was around 2 1/2 months old. It was at night when I went to bed. She didn't like being separated from me so she would cry & bite at the door. Her lower jaw got caught in the cage, I did get her out without any injury, but it was scarry. She sleeps with me at night now but I do crate her during the day while I am working. That was the only time that happened & she doesn't have any problems with being crated now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts