Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We have two beautiful golden's and will be getting a third. With the new puppy I will be training it for obedience and then agility. I know I need to crate train this puppy because of that.

I also happen to be a pet sitter and I take dogs into my home. I will be watching another golden retriever in our home next month, and she is crate trained.

Because of this I was planning on getting a crate now, so that Lexi will have one to use when she is here. Amber and Pixie were not crate trained.

I need an extra large crate because of my pet sitting, and would like one that folds down for transport. I also prefer a soft sided crate.

And suggestions, preferences you have?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is the soft sided crate I use. I love it. I don't remember where I purchased it online. I just looked for the picture and came up with this site. I would look around for the best price if you choose this one.

Noz2Noz 42" Green Pet Model N2 Sof-Krate | Wayfair
It fits in the trunk of our fusion. Our wired crate the same size does not. We take it everywhere.

I wouldn't suggest starting a puppy in a soft sided crate. I think they could do some damage chewing on it.

I like the wire crates to start the puppy in. I purchased the 42in and it fits my male with some room to spare, who is a little larger than the standard for a golden. They can come with a divider to make it smaller while the pup is little.

When it is time to go off to obedience or agility and you are pet sitting another dog the wire crate can be left at home and you can take the soft crate on the road for your puppy. :)

I personally would start with the wire crate now and purchase the soft crate down the road.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
This is probably not the answer you want, but I can't think of a single crate that would have worked at class/trials and home and the car. :)

For Bertie - the breeder got me hooked on plastic carriers when they let me borrow their Remington kennel for the ride home. I kept that for a couple weeks and liked it so much I went out and bought my own, knowing that I would just be using this carrier for about 10 weeks or so before he'd outgrow it.

I MISS that carrier now Bert's has outgrown it and I've officially donated it to a rescue. o_O Berts was very trained to be quiet and calm in his carrier. He's not quite there with his "tent" (soft crate) that I just bought for both dogs.

Anyway - these are the crates I have and the purposes....

^ I didn't get this brand, but this is closest to what I had. Mine was 27 x 18 x 18. This fit perfectly in the front seat of my car and wasn't too crazy carrying into class while walking a puppy.

I have this crate for at home. It's a 42" crate. Big enough for the dogs to completely stretch out. And it folds up to store under the couch when the dogs aren't using it. I bought this from Walmart for $80, I think.

^ this is the "tent" I bought for the dogs for easy carry to class and trials (I hope). 36" crate. Nature's Miracle brand - you can buy them from Petsmart. I got a good deal (less than $100) with my member's card and coupons. I LOVE it except we need to do a little training/proofing with it.

Problem with a puppy or a non-crate trained dog is they can claw their way out or damage the crate fairly easy. I've sat with lots of people at trials watching them stitch of their crates after their dogs managed to chew holes in them. And those were trained dogs.... o_O

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have the 3 crates similar to Megora. The small Remington puppy crate, the wire crate (42") for in the house and a soft sided crate for travel.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would plan on getting two crates... a wire crate as the permanent home crate, and then the soft sided one for the travelling. This will also help minimize the wear and tear on the soft sided crate, and keep it in better shape.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a wire crate is to make sure it has a divider. You'll want to section off the crate to only provide the amount of space that the puppy requires. This will keep the puppy from going potty in the crate, as they will not soil their den space. As the puppy grows, adjust the space as necessary until the divider is no longer necessary.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both of you for your replies. I had not even thought of a puppy chewing through a soft crate. So I have to think about this some more. I had decided to get a 42 inch crate and really like the Noz2Noz mentioned above.

Thanks for the pictures of all crates. I was looking at the 'carrier' today, wondering if that would work for my puppy. But yes, I would want one big enough it could grow and still fit the crate. We have kitty carriers big enough to bring a puppy home in, but now you guys have reminded me that puppies chew.

Can we teach it NOT to chew though? So we don't have an older dog at trials chewing through the soft crate? Something to think about.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Castaway - my puppy client has a wire crate with a divider so I know exactly what you are talking about. It looks like that is the way to go. 2 crates.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Personally, I would go with the 48. I got the 42 for Cassie, and it fits her perfectly, but if she had grown any larger, I would want to upgrade her to a larger crate I think.

I will add that I think the price difference for the extra 6" is rather ridiculous...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I agree about the price difference. We ended up doing the 42''. It does have a divider so I think it will suit our needs perfectly. Now if we have another big dog, like our baby Pixie who is huge for a golden, but not overweight, then I will need to get the bigger crate.

I am so excited to get our new puppy, but she has not even been conceived yet. We are waiting on a Starz golden. The breeding will take place this spring we hope.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
48" is a huge crate, I wouldn't go any larger than 42" if you're going to be transporting it. All my crates for traveling are 36".

If you start competing in obedience and agility, you will end up buying more crates. Actually you will develop a collection of crates. My dogs have house crates, car crates, show crates, and hotel room crates. If I took classes somewhere that let me leave a crate, I'd have class crates too.

My dogs start in wire crates. Once they show they know how to behave in a crate and won't try to escape, then they can use soft crates (except I just permanently leave up wire crates in the house and in the car). Flip was 3 before I'd put him in a soft crate. Conner ripped through a couple of soft crates when he was younger, so e was five before he could stay in one again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow Jodie, thanks for that info. I didn't even think about how many different crates I will be using. Size wise they will be changing too, I did figure out that much :) But I hadn't realized that I will need a different crate for transport than I do for trails. Our basement is gonna be full of crates.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
You don't HAVE to, but lugging around crates is a pain, so most find it easier to have several and be able to leave them up for the weekend. My first dog show ever I owned one crate, a wire crate that we used in the house. I folded it up and set it up in the car for the drive. Then I took it out of the car, folded it back up, lugged it into the trial, and set it up there. End of the day, bring it back to the car, then go set it up in the hotel room. Next morning, back in the car. Set up again for Sunday's trial. End of the trial, back in the car. Get back home and set it up again in the house.

For my next trial I had a second crate. By my third trial I owned three crates LOL

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Craig's List is a good place to buy extra crates. I paid $30 for a 36" plastic travel crate that was only used for one plane ride. That one sits in the back of the van.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My DH askes "Do you really need all those crates? Your not using them and they're taking up space". I reply "Do you really need all those power tools?"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts