Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Our 14 week old puppy (Odie) has always been really good about going into his crate and nighttime and when we leave for work. Over the past week or so he hasn't gone in on his own right away. It has taken some serious coaxing. We have never used the crate as punishment or anything, I can't figure out why he's so hesitant to go in. Once he goes in at night he's fine and sleeps without issues. There's no crying or whining, he just lays down in front of his crate.

Also, we've had some issues with Odie "sassing back." Anytime I tell him NO or NO BITE he does this little bark/growl thing back. He stops biting, but it just seems like he wants to get the last word in. Is this normal??

Does anyone live in the Central NY region???

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Do you use treats to get him in? If not, that's what I would start doing. Get a cookie jar that sits on top of the crate, and when he's not in it/not looking, toss a cookie to the back of the crate so when he happens to go in himself he'll get a treat for doing so. I feed my guys in their crates and I swear they run backwards into them at dinner time, and strain their heads out as far as they can without stepping out of the crate.

Also, if he has any bones or chews, make the rule that he has to keep them in his crate. I just keep removing the bone if they take it out, trading them for a cookie, and put the bone back in the kennel. After a few times they clue in that if they want to chew on the bone they have to stay in the crate...

Lana

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have been using treats to get him in. Some days it seems like he could care less if there is a treat in there. He does have toys that stay only in his crate and do not come out, but no chew bones. I will try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think it is normal puppy behavior on not wanting to go in the crate. My Bama was the same way. I would put treats in there and if he still didnt go in, then I would pick him up and put him in.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
He's probably just testing the waters. Hank does this from time to time, but he has no choice in the matter yet. I use high-value treats and it usually works.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I was wondering how long he is in the crate for? At that age I wouldn't expect a puppy to be alone in a crate for over an hour or two. What is his routine like?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I was wondering how long he is in the crate for? At that age I wouldn't expect a puppy to be alone in a crate for over an hour or two. What is his routine like?
For Hank, it's only at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts