Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone who is at home most of the time, I have been trying to have Cody on a set schedule for his crate training.

He is now almost 9 weeks old. So far, he has yet to make a mistake inside the crate. Usually, I keep him in the crate for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time during the day.

What I have a problem is that he starts crying about an hour or so. I know he does not need to go potty yet. Most of the time, I try to ignore it. However, it sometimes gets stressful.

Anyway, anyone can comment when you start increasing the time in the crate? Also, maybe suggestions to stop his whinnying? Read lots of books. They say to give toys inside the crate. However, he seems to ignore them when he gets into his tantrums.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm not going to be much help because as a puppy Hank was only in his crate at night or when no one was home. But, during the day I would take him out for potty breaks every 20 minutes or so. A 9 week old puppy's bladder is very small and he could very well need to go out.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Why is he crated if you're with him? When I was home with Max, the only time he was crated was when I went to get a shower - and most of the time I took him up with me and just closed the bathroom door.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the books that I have read state that putting the puppy in a crate, even if you are at home, is the best way for housebreak training. I have been following the schedule from Doglife's Golden Retriever.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
You're wise to crate him if you can't keep a close, direct eye on him. An alternative is to keep him with you on a leash. As for how long to crate based on how long he can hold it, the general rule of thumb is one hour for every month old ... except for those times just after meals, eating or playtime -- all things that generally stimulate a pup to need to eliminate.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All the books that I have read state that putting the puppy in a crate, even if you are at home, is the best way for housebreak training. I have been following the schedule from Doglife's Golden Retriever.
Crates have their uses, but I think the best way to toilet train your pup is to watch him and give him frequent opportunities to "go" outside (i.e. taking him outside). Eventually he will ask to go outside (he cannot get to the door in a crate). As he gets older, I would be hoping he would be spending less time in a crate rather than more. Crates are fine for puppies to seep in at night time, but I am not a big fan of crates being used for extended periods in the day-time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the good advice. We have adopted some of the ideas. That is, we are now less rigid about time spent in the crate. Everyone seems to be happier.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Another way is to keep a log book on his daily habits, like what time he wakes up, eats, go pee, poo, drink etc. It helps to let you see a pattern. But yes, rule of the thumb is to bring him out after every meal and watch his water intake till he's potty trained.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts