Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so sometime after august 6th we are picking up a golden retriever puppy-she will be about 7 weeks old. I know the first day you shouldn't crate her except for at night and we will have the crate upstairs at night-but when do I start crating her and for how long? I know you have to crate them during they day when you're there so they don't just associate the crate as you leaving them. I know you start with small intervals, but how long do you start out with? How many times each day? By how much do increase the intervals each day? Thanks so much-we are first time puppy owners and want to do this right.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I don't have answers to all your Qs, but I'd suggest you feed meals in the crate, put it where pup can get to it easily, and throw treats and toys in there so he'll want to go in and come out. You can leave the door open most of the time, when you are around. If its inconvenient to move a crate around you house, you might get a second for the room you hang out in the most and leave the other where he'll sleep. When you want him to nap, you can give him a stuffed Kong and put him in the crate, door open or closed. I think you'll find a pattern or rhythm that works for your family pretty quickly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.