Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my cute golden boy Rico in a couple of days and I need some help! We bought a cage and I have been reading alot on how to crate train and kept having only one question. The question is when I get him home to let him explore his cage should I not put the divider panel in?? or should I put the divider panel in just big enough for his bed and let him explore that??

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I would put the divider in and let him explore the room he has..but others may know better than me.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Start off right away with the divider panel. You want him to get used to the space he's going to be sleeping in. Once he's used to it and grows out of the space, you move the divider bit by bit so it's never a major change.

Some dogs never need the divider panel since they have good bladder development and a strong housebreaking urge. Others can't hold it so well and really need the divider to discourage them from peeing in one corner and sleeping in another.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If he will be in the cage put the divider in. They should have just enough room to stand up, turn around & lay down. YOu can adjust it as they grow.

The other thing I recommend is NOT to put a pillow, blanket or any bedding in. Crate bottom only. If they have a pillow, etc, they are more likely to go on it because it soaks it right up. Wait until later to use a bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.