Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am a bit lost as to how to begin crate training. Every video or information I have read has been a bit conflicting. Some give treats, others just give praise.

We have had our 9 week old now for 12 days and she has been sleeping in our ensuite when we go out and at night. During the day she is sleeping wherever in our living room. We have a small 3 bedroom house with combine living and dining area and have very limited room to put such a large crate and our only option is to have it at our back door (within a metre of where we sit in our living room and right next to our bedroom window).

Housetraining has been going great so far but I would really like to see a permanent solution to her sleeping in a crate. The few times I have led her in with treats has gone well.. Until my husband came home from work one day and thought that was were he was putting her and left her in there for 2 hrs before I feel she was ready and ever since then she has not wanted to go near it.

How do I go from small training as in leading in with treats to staying in there for longer periods? What point will she be able to go in overnight?

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I had very little training with Rusty. I just bought the crate, and lead him in with treats and told him: "Go night night Rusty"

He had been to the groomers before, and I think that helped with the crate training. If I remember right, the first night in his crate Rusty did cry a little but that was about it. I was very lucky he took so well to the crate, and loves sleeping there everynight since.

Kerrie Ann was crate trained by her breeder before I got her. My new puppy the same thing as Rusty. I just lead in with some treats, and said go night night (with some praise) and everything was perfect.

I don't think what I did really even counts as training, because my pups had no issues with their crates. Maybe I'm lucky or crate training is very easy haha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts